A Holiday Gift for the Gang!

Like pedal designs, drink recipes are almost always based on someone else's. In this case, mine is based on the Presidente Margarita from Chili's Restaurant. A while back, I was traveling to Albuquerque frequently on business. New Mexico cuisine is great, I discovered many great dishes and on one particular trip, I embarked on the quest for the perfect Margarita. Now anyone who has watched Archer knows that a proper Margarita contains five ingredients: Tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, ice and salt (on the rim). For sure you can make a damned good Margarita that way and it will kick your ass. Anyway, the one I liked the best was at the bar in a Chili's restaurant near my house: the Presidente Margarita. What made that one so tasty was the addition of a 6th ingredient: Presidente Brandy. OK, 7th, because they used a lemon-lime mixer also. A little experimentation nailed the ratios. Purists will reject the notion of adding mixer or fruit flavorings to drinks, but Margaritas are a natural for adding flavors and the mixer lowers the alcohol content a bit. One of my favorite fruits to add is blackberries. But on a hot day, a Cucumber Margarita will cool you off pronto!

Makes 1 Litre
3 limes
2 cucumbers
300mL tequila* (400 mL for hi-octane)
100 mL Presidente Brandy+
100 mL Cointreau (can sub Patron Citronge)
300 to 400 mL Trader Joe's Margarita Mixer (or some other decent mixer that doesn't contain dyes or high-fructose corn syrup)
Midori Melon Liqueur

Peel cucumbers, remove seeds, cut into slices and muddle severely in a 20 oz shaker. Add mixer and let it infuse while you do the rest. Or you can use a blender to juice the cucumber and mixer. Squeeze the limes into a 1L glass or stainless steel container, then add the liquors. Strain the cucumber slurry into the container. Mix well.

Salting the glass rim is optional. When I do it, I use Tachin or mix a little cayenne pepper with the salt. Make sure no salt gets on the inside of the glass - classic rookie mistake.

Add ice to a margarita or martini glass (or beer mug, what the Hell!) and pour in the Cucumber Margarita. Float some Midori on the top and enjoy. It's easy to drink too many of these, so please drink responsibly.

* A note on Tequila. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it does have to be 100% blue agave. None of that Cuervo Gold blended crap. I prefer Reposado for mixed drinks; Anejo is for sipping. Trader Joe's has a perfectly good Tequila, Campo Azul, for under $15 a bottle. Other good inexpensive tequilas for mixing are Cazadores, Hornitos, Milagro, El Jimador, Sauza and Camarena, to name but a few. You can even use a decent bottle of Mezcal. It's kinda like buying transistors, you don't have to spend a ton of money to get something good.

+ I have tried other brandies and there is something about Presidente that works the best in this recipe. Use what you can get, but it will taste better with Presidente.

Before I commit do you have samples? And how do I tell the the Tequila I buy on ebay isn't relabelled faked Cuervo "Fools" Gold...?

Nice! The one thing I haven’t unpacked since moving is the liquor, but I think I’ve got everything but the melon liqueur...well and I can’t get Presidente Brandy so St Remys will have to do, it’s the 2n5088 of the Brandy world!

Back