Aberration Fuzz (Focus Fuzz)

Kroars

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just finished one of two last night. Used an MP38 (88 hfe with very low leakage) and two BC108b’s (319/322). Biased MP38 to 4.5v and it sounds fantastic! Also, used a 15k trimpot (just in case) but I’m not sure it’s needed as it seemed that 10k would work no problem. Gonna audition a few more MP38’s with in the 50’s-70’s tonight to see if those can also do the trick (since that is the range where a lot of MP38’s seem to be). Will report back.

Not a huge change in fuzz/tone between 0-10 on both the Fuzz & Focus knobs, but I see in demos of the original that it’s supposed to be that way. In fact, it seems to be one of the selling points in that, unlike most Fuzz pedals, there’s not a “crappy” setting to be had with this thing. Anywhere I put the knobs sounded great. Don’t get me wrong, the Fuzz and Focus knobs do affect the sound/feel -just not by a ton. Another build l would highly recommend.

Edit: Just threw in a low 60’s MP38 and it sounded just like the one in the 80’s. We’re good fellas!

Attachments

• F8308629-8E7F-4FC6-8BF7-30F36D404E71.jpeg
    F8308629-8E7F-4FC6-8BF7-30F36D404E71.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 6FED0D2A-E9AF-4DAF-AEFB-96AE403483F2.jpeg
    6FED0D2A-E9AF-4DAF-AEFB-96AE403483F2.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I was hoping to see the first build report of this soon! I honestly did not even know about this pedal until PedalPCB had a board coming out, after which I sought out clips. Will very likely do this one over the summer!

Nice looking! What do you think of this fuzz? I ordered the PCB.

Oh, and did you drill the enclosure yourself or is that a Tayda PedalPCB 3 knob?

Nice looking! What do you think of this fuzz? I ordered the PCB.

Oh, and did you drill the enclosure yourself or is that a Tayda PedalPCB 3 knob?
I really liked this fuzz. Not a huge variation in fuzz, but it sat in a real nice sweet spot for me. I drill all my enclosures, it’s incredibly simple -especially with the drill templates. I just use a metal punch (the automatic kind you just push down on), then hit it with a small drill bit for pilot holes, then use a 1/8”-1/2” step bit for the various sizes; all with a cordless 18v drill. Maybe one of these days I’ll get a drill press, but it’s not at all needed. I think it may even add a little time to the process (mainly because I use 18v drills everyday for the past 20+ years). The PedalPCB hard template you can buy is a game changer as well. Love that thing!

One of these are a life saver:

NEIKO 02638A 5-Inch Automatic Center Punch for Metal, Adjustable Impact Spring Loaded Center Punch Tool, Spring Punch, Center Punch Spring Loaded, Auto Center Punch https://a.co/d/flkzwpS

Last edited:
Thanks, I was asking about the drilling because I am OVER drilling and painting enclosures and I wanted to know if the pre-drilled 3 knob would work for this project. Although, the build documents aren't up for this one yet so did you use a template form another 3 knob PedalPCB project? If so then the pre-drilled enclosure in my Tayda cart should work.

Great to hear about the fuzz sitting in a sweet spot. I'm a sucker for fuzz pedals.

Thanks, I was asking about the drilling because I am OVER drilling and painting enclosures and I wanted to know if the pre-drilled 3 knob would work for this project. Although, the build documents aren't up for this one yet so did you use a template form another 3 knob PedalPCB project? If so then the pre-drilled enclosure in my Tayda cart should work.

Great to hear about the fuzz sitting in a sweet spot. I'm a sucker for fuzz pedals.
Gotcha. Yeah, I just use the drill template you can buy from PedalPCB. Any three knob pedal template should work just fine for this guy.

I was playing though my aberration fuzz side by side with the champ stamp and I was surprised how similar they sounded.

Back