Achilles Overdrive: Out with the old...

jeffwhitfield

So I've built a few dual overdrives: a Paragon and a Pro-10 green/blue combo. Both have their perks and sound really good. But after thinking about it, I really came to the conclusion that having separate pedals made more sense to me. I like the Protein...but really wish the Green channel had a bit more flexility. I have an Andromeda Deluxe (ODR-C) which provides the same tones as the Green channel but with more flexibility. I like the way a single channel sounds on the Paragon over the Pro-10 Blue. They're both good, mind you...it's just that the Paragon sounds a bit better. So, basically, I wanted the best of both worlds.

As such, the best solution would be to pair up the Andromeda Deluxe with a Prince of Tone clone. Choice was between a PedalPCB Pauper and an AionFX Achilles. Ended up choosing the Achilles...mainly for the extra MIDS dip switch. Just adds a bit more flexibility in the tone. Used the same op-amp and diodes I used the Paragon so we're all good. :D

Tone is spot-on with the Paragon and pairs up quite nicely with the Andromeda Deluxe. Just like the Pro-10, I found that running the Andromeda into the Achilles resulted in the best sound. It's amazing how much of a difference the added controls on the Andromeda makes compared to the Pro-10 Green, especially the Mids and Low Cut controls. Mashed up with the Achilles, I feel like I can really dial in tones that I wouldn't otherwise get with the Paragon or the Pro-10.

IMG_0362.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg

I came to the same conclusion about flexibility. For me it was an OD based on the Mesa dual rectifier with an EQ (pcbguitarmania's Mesa DR. + guitarpcb's Tone TwEQ + order switch).
The OD isn't as interesting as I thought and I have to carry it around if I want to use the EQ with something else.

I guess the idea of putting several circuits in 1 box is interesting for saving space on a pedal board, and for players who don't want to bother with flexibility and patch cables. Same benefits as a multi-fx can offer, i'd say. I don't see the point beyond that, unless putting them in one enclosure can somehow affect the sound in a positive manner, for exemple create a shorter signal path or something ?

Edit : Your artwork is nice and simple, it makes me want to draw a circle around the big A of Achilles... probably the revolutionary sleeping inside me. I am sure Achilles was a bit conservative, all considered... Aren't conservative people talking a lot about flexibility ?

Last edited:
Back