Adventures in breadboarding TPA3118 pedal amp

fig

Hey, that's awesome! Have you considered putting a preamp circuit in front of it? Maybe a Benson?

Paradox916

@Danbieranowski here is the schematic I worked off of it’s pretty simple, I just did one channel, and the mute/ standby is easy enough to figure out using a DPDT mini, as for the amp it self Fig nailed it on the head Amazon 2 for $10 or around that price. Hope that helps

4700uF 25V 105C JRB Radial Electrolytic Capacitor

1N5402 Diode 3A 200V

these parts in retrospect might be a little over kill.

BA900F18-BC8E-45E1-8571-2CD87C2164B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Danbieranowski

@Danbieranowski here is the schematic I worked off of it’s pretty simple, I just did one channel, and the mute/ standby is easy enough to figure out using a DPDT mini, as for the amp it self Fig nailed it on the head Amazon 2 for $10 or around that price. Hope that helps

4700uF 25V 105C JRB Radial Electrolytic Capacitor

1N5402 Diode 3A 200V

these parts in retrospect might be a little over kill.

View attachment 13462
Thank you for this! And thanks @fig!

Sepultura_AD

Not when I'm involved. I'd say the less you wire / unwire it, the better chance of survival. Have a load on it before powering. That 2-channel layout is going to be awesome!
That was my experience also. I killed one of the cheap Amazon ones in quick order. I plan on trying again with a more robust unit. I'm pretty good at destroying things though. :cool:

caspercody

I also bought one of those from Amazon. Did not get to load with my 1x12 speaker, plus the speaker was 16 ohm. So I put my clone of Way Huge Angry Troll in front, and now very loud. Also now have a decent volume and gain control, plus a buffer at the input. Not sure if need a buffer between Angry Troll and input to amp? I also used a voltage doubler on the amp, imputing 18vdc.

Paradox916

389CC3BF-5505-45B3-93F3-2BA40C43517B.jpeg
she’s not a looker by any means but it works,
! doesn’t sound bad.... further work and testing is needed ....definitely need to rethink the cap values and sizes along with a different diode ( at 12v is not even drawing 1A) It sounds a little on the dark side but that might be due to I only have a 4x12 cab Right now....witch it asking a lot of that little thing..but It does it. Not sure of the toll it’s taking but you have to test it with what you got at the moment right!? To be continued.....

Mike McLane

What gauge of hookup wire do you use. I'd think if you're pushing 60w out it takes more than 24Ga. I've got some 18 Ga, but it's way too big to work with, but in this last pic I notice the vero board so it can't require that stout of wire.

Paradox916

Yeah I used 24g it was was some leftover milspec tefzelused for avionics so it does a little better than your average 24g but that thing isn’t pushing any where near 60w at 12v, maybe 24v wide open before it melts down it might, But it gets loud enough to test pedals I. The garage... there is still a lot of room for improvement on the design.. just haven’t got to that yet.... maybe on V2 I’ll tinker and dial it in.....

Reactions: fig