Aion Aperture (Ampeg Scrambler)

I've had bad luck with shielded wire in the past. That furry stuff can short your signal or power to ground with one stray strand.

You can tell if the switch is working by testing continuity in both positions, no need to tear it down.

I've had bad luck with shielded wire in the past. That furry stuff can short your signal or power to ground with one stray strand.

You can tell if the switch is working by testing continuity in both positions, no need to tear it down.

It’s something on the board. Switch checked out and shielded wire was all good.

It’s something on the board. Given the haste in which it was build, I was bound to get an error. My suspicion is I fried something. I have enough of the 1N456, 2N5306 and BC169B left to start fresh.

Since I already drilled the enclosure for the Aion board, I may just buy another board and stick with my normal off board wiring and omit the breakout.

This is my fault. Rather than practice what I preach (take it slow, etc.), I flew through this build with newbie levels of excitement.

It’s something on the board. Switch checked out and shielded wire was all good.

It’s something on the board. Given the haste in which it was build, I was bound to get an error. My suspicion is I fried something. I have enough of the 1N456, 2N5306 and BC169B left to start fresh.

Since I already drilled the enclosure for the Aion board, I may just buy another board and stick with my normal off board wiring and omit the breakout.

This is my fault. Rather than practice what I preach (take it slow, etc.), I flew through this build with newbie levels of excitement.
Eh. It happens. I have a pile of…3-4 pedals that never worked. Every now and again I’ll dust one off and try again, but it never goes. The only one I’m super dedicated to fix was my Klon build. I don’t even really like the Klon, I’m just annoyed it doesn’t work right. Spite is a valid reason as any to keep trying to make a pedal work.

Bummer to hear this. I'd been following along with this thread waiting to see your thoughts since I have this PCB and am looking forward to building it. Hopefully it doesn't give me this much trouble!

Reactions: fig
Bummer to hear this. I'd been following along with this thread waiting to see your thoughts since I have this PCB and am looking forward to building it. Hopefully it doesn't give me this much trouble!

Don’t worry. Tomorrow I’ll get an order in. This time around I’m skipping the switch breakout board. I like good old fashioned offboard wiring. Unless it’s PedalPCB, cause those breakouts make sense.

I’m leaving this thread as a testament to taking your time. Also, as a path of redemption! I will scramble you sons’a’guns before sundown!

bummed to read this thread, I just ordered 2 boards from Aion

hope take 2 is better

There's nothing wrong with Aion, it's really just that the PedalPCB method for offboard wiring is so elegant. Their build docs are great and they have quality stuff. Just take a little extra time on the offboard wiring.
Yup, aion is great. Just check the wiring diagram and plan ahead

for sure, I wasn't trying to diss them at all if that's how I came across

that said I have stayed away from them until now specifically for their wiring

Update:

So I’ve got my new board.

Prepping some stuff and realized I had a super compact DPDT stomp switch. Since the switch turns the boost circuit on and off, I decided I’d use it for this project:

12A960B8-6641-40CC-A7F7-727AAE0802C6.jpeg 5D53A3FF-1FC8-4D0F-BF29-E4B6F4F51D28.jpeg

A few updates:

1.) With my new workbench all set up, I've set about populating the new Aion Board;

2.) Like an asshole I punch a big 12 mm hole for a Boost stomp switch only to find out the spacing is the same. So I have to use a mini toggle. Like I'm aware of the the thinning patch of hair on the back of my head, I know the hole is too big for the toggle. I don't want to see any of you assholes (I'm looking directly at you @thewintersoldier 🤣) meme'ing about me in the "It's all in good fun" thread! This one is getting a custom drilled and graphic'd enclosure anyway so Ia m not worried about it.

A few updates:

1.) With my new workbench all set up, I've set about populating the new Aion Board;

2.) Like an asshole I punch a big 12 mm hole for a Boost stomp switch only to find out the spacing is the same. So I have to use a mini toggle. Like I'm aware of the the thinning patch of hair on the back of my head, I know the hole is too big for the toggle. I don't want to see any of you assholes (I'm looking directly at you @thewintersoldier 🤣) meme'ing about me in the "It's all in good fun" thread! This one is getting a custom drilled and graphic'd enclosure anyway so Ia m not worried about it.
Time to find a BIG washer 😂

I bet @fig has some fender washers he could send you. That guy has everything! In triplicate even

I'ma let it ride because this is a candidate for a rehouse with old school scrambler graphics anyway.

In fact, I may just jumper the pads for boost always on until I do the enclosure for this one. Hell, I may just jumper it permanently. As far as I know given my research on this one, the output volume boost stage is an improvement on the original.

Back