Aion Blueshift-Boss DC-2 Dimension C

HamishR

Wow! Impressive! I had an original I gigged with all those years ago - over 30 years ago. I even briefly had a Dimension D. It was huge! The Dimension C sounded just as good IMO.

Now I have banished all chorus from my house, except sometimes a little modulation on one specific delay setting I use when nostalgic for one song I played back then. I was in a fairly successful original band in my town 30-odd years ago and my sound was Strat ->Fender Twin Reverb II with an Ibanez PDM1 delay and a DC2 in the FX loop. Same sound for the entire gig. :eek:

Phil hodson

Fantastic looking job. Super clean. I have one that I’m going to be starting soon. I didn’t realize just how low profile those caps were! I may have to go and look for some.
Any idea how tall your 100uf caps are?

thewintersoldier

Fantastic looking job. Super clean. I have one that I’m going to be starting soon. I didn’t realize just how low profile those caps were! I may have to go and look for some.
Any idea how tall your 100uf caps are?
I bought the ones Kevin had in the build doc. I used his mouser parts list to order. So check the build doc.

Phil hodson

Mouser are out of those at the moment. I did just manage to find some Panasonic ones not the Lelon ones Kevin used but still the same specs. His were 8mm high as are the Panasonic ones so fingers crossed. Yours looked a lot smaller. So I was worried mine wouldn’t fit!
Looks like a very fun (complicated) build. I’m looking forward to it. Will be taking my time like you say though. Thanks for the voltages by the way they are very handy to know too.
Wish me luck 🤣

Harry Klippton

I got an email from mouser a few months ago that some of the low profile electros I've previously purchased are at end of life and will become obsolete. Screenshot_20211118-103741-562.png

szukalski

Raising a zombie here.. I have seen this build mentioned more than a few times. Love this report, really informative.

What's the verdict on the DC-2? Worth the effort, or is it one of those build challenges that you complete, say "nice" and never use?

giovanni

Wow! Impressive! I had an original I gigged with all those years ago - over 30 years ago. I even briefly had a Dimension D. It was huge! The Dimension C sounded just as good IMO.

Now I have banished all chorus from my house, except sometimes a little modulation on one specific delay setting I use when nostalgic for one song I played back then. I was in a fairly successful original band in my town 30-odd years ago and my sound was Strat ->Fender Twin Reverb II with an Ibanez PDM1 delay and a DC2 in the FX loop. Same sound for the entire gig. :eek:
What was the band name? That sounds like my kind of tone…

thewintersoldier

Raising a zombie here.. I have seen this build mentioned more than a few times. Love this report, really informative.

What's the verdict on the DC-2? Worth the effort, or is it one of those build challenges that you complete, say "nice" and never use?
Anyone who knows me knows that I am all about modulation. Having built all manners of fuzz, distortion, envelope filters and delay, modulation is my thing (I'm lumping phasers in here too). I had always heard how great the DC-2 is, and there are artists that I really like who use it as well. We all know that what you hear on records or on YouTube isn't always what you hear in person. I wanted to try it myself. The DC-2w had just been released so it was big again. I love a challenge and it was the first stacked board I had done, high parts count and seemed impressive. How does it sound? It's good. Is it my favorite chorus? No. I feel this is the chorus for people who don't like chorus. With multiple delay lines going at once they kind of cancel the Delayed signal when mixed and it's like suspended animation. You get the wet sound without the movement of a traditional chorus. I love the movement, that's why I like modulation. For me it's good but gets a little boring after a while and I go back to my favorite, the small clone. Boss has always been bland to me and while this sounds good, you really need to play it in stereo to get the full effects. I play in mono so it's kind of a wash for me. Hope that fully answers you inquiry. Build at your own discretion. Also it's not cheap.