Aion Particle (Harmonic Percolator)

Alan W

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
A main reason I'm posting this is because my last two build reports (Chop Shop and Mercurial Boost) were over the top wows, and my next report, on the General Tso, is going to be more of the same. This was one of my earlier picks for a build, more based on the reputation, and I did like Joe Gore's demo of "his" pedal. I'll certainly keep it around and will check back in with it several times; as is, I'm certainly not overwhelmed with it.

I went with the Albini "mod" values, and used a 2N404A (hfe 63) and a 2N3565 (hfe 213) for the transistors, and OF129 germaniums for the germanium diodes. Beyond keeping all parts (except the larger electrolytics) to within a percent or so of specified values, no mods to the circuit.

Build was without any issues. So far, have only tested my Strat and Baritone Tele through it. On the germ. clipping side, there is quite a large volume drop, and a tonal softness that might be useful at some point. The difference between no clipping and the 1N914 clipping is subtle. So—it adds some fuzzy distortion, there is predictable (once you play with it a bit) interplay between the two knobs, and I did find a setting that I liked. (I think I'm just over-supplied with great options for the "edge of breakup," be it tweed, brown, or blackface, that I spend most of my time in. A subtle fuzz just isn't as appealing.) Pretty sure I will take it apart to finish the box, but may end up just sending it to my nephew, who is always happy to relive me of my excess effects. If I do box it, will be in an orange pearl, with a red metal flake circle on it.

IMG_0879.jpeg IMG_0880.jpeg taken 2022-12-27 at 9.16.34 AM.jpg

My preferred setting is no diodes, and it works best as a “boost” fuzz. I breadboarded the circuit when I built mine, and I tried a little of everything it in. I was never able to get the Albini octave down sound. Everyone needs a Percolator…

My preferred setting is no diodes, and it works best as a “boost” fuzz. I breadboarded the circuit when I built mine, and I tried a little of everything it in. I was never able to get the Albini octave down sound. Everyone needs a Percolator…
I did boost a bit with it, and will look at it more seriously in that roll. I have several fuzzes, but they are all, while very adjustable, very aggressive. In the fuzzy/boost range I have a ‘69 clone and Tube Sound Fuzz (these were my very first two pedal builds) that also aren’t seeing much use currently, and they seem to cover some similar turf as the Percolator. I should also try this into my other amp, which is very AC15ish; I have a feeling that it will react very nicely with that front end. I agree about the center diode position.

Everyone needs a
Any chance I can get you to come explain the subtle nuances and significance of me building one more fuzz to my better half? My arguments on the subject seem to fall short.

Fuzz is so specific to each person. There is definitely a process to eliminating ones you don't have use for though.
I like the idea of using dots or symbols to signify the clipping options. I hate labeling switches but this is more visually appealing.

The past few nights I’ve brought this back onto my board, and finally tried it with my one humbucker equipped guitar. I get it now! My preference for clean, wide range single coils did not mate well with this, but it is pretty addictive with humbuckers. I could see how, in a denser mix, it could be beneficial even with single coils.

Thanks for the susbtantial write up/report. I really love my Calliope build, which is Catalinbread's take on a Harmonic Percolator, so I'm curious to see how these two are different from one another.

Also, semi-unrelated but you mention that you have a baritone tele. Is that one of the squire models? What do you think of it? They look like great guitars but I don't know anyone who has one and I've been curious about them for a bit now.

Also, semi-unrelated but you mention that you have a baritone tele. Is that one of the squire models? What do you think of it? They look like great guitars but I don't know anyone who has one and I've been curious about them for a bit now.
My baritone is a Warmoth build I did in 2020. The squiers do look nice—I think it's be a good intro, and with a good set up (which you'd want no matter what) and a future change in electronics (if needed) you'd have a very nice guitar. I terms of fit/finish, etc., I don't see much difference between Squiers and Fenders at this point. I've come to really love the Baritone voice. Go for it!

IMG_0796.jpeg

My baritone is a Warmoth build I did in 2020. The squiers do look nice—I think it's be a good intro, and with a good set up (which you'd want no matter what) and a future change in electronics (if needed) you'd have a very nice guitar. I terms of fit/finish, etc., I don't see much difference between Squiers and Fenders at this point. I've come to really love the Baritone voice. Go for it!

View attachment 45101
Oh man, what a beautiful guitar! Thanks for the input. They seem like great starter baritones (which is exactly what I'm looking for right now) so I might have to shop around for one soon here.

Back