An effect you want to love but can't?

daeg

They posed this question to the chat in a recent JHS livestream I tuned into. Answers were all across the board and pretty interesting.

You can name a specific pedal, a type of circuit or just a general category.

daeg

For me, it's the Analog Octave Up. I love the idea of it, a spikey, piercing & messy octave up. I love the circuits and theory. I've breadboarded every Green Ringer tweak I've found on DIYSB. Built them into other effects. Breadboarded the Ampeg Scrambler, Fox Tone Machine, Octavia, JC Maillet's Super Full Wave Octaver, Jawari and everything else I can try.

The problem I can't get around is usefulness only on single-notes. You have to pluck hard to get a decent tone, and inherent gating totally prevents gentle playing and subletly. Double-stops not only sound nasty, but the intermodulation also causes a huge volume jump and have a fast decay. I want them to be useable for something other than the Purple Haze solo, Stoner / Doom noodling or annoying others but they just aren't.

Many__Of__Horror

Tube Screamer for me, I just can't figure out how to use it in stacking to sound any good. Sounds too muffled to me. Klon is kinda in the same boat as well.

Many__Of__Horror

Been playing a Fender Hot Rod mainly, but just picked up a 2nd hand AC30 that I am loving so will try the pedals again on it I guess

bifurcation

I've generally never been able to get into most modulation effects.

My hot take is everything with chorus sounds the same, everything with flanger sounds the same, tremelo, same, phaser, same (well, I guess I don't mind a really slow phaser or one with an envelope follower.)

I've liked sequenced-gate stuff, but again it's something you'd use for like one part of one song.

These opinions are probably because I'm a philistine who's never tried to learn the ins and outs of modulation use.

Delay. I really like tape effect sounds and everything about using actual tape, so I always think I'm gonna like tape delay, but it's just not useful for my playing

BuddytheReow

Thermionic Distortion. I know it's very popular, but it's waaaaay to mid-heavy for my taste and there's no control for it. I really wanted to like it considering the amount of gain on tap, but I can't really use it.

HamishR

I think I overdosed on chorus in the 80s. Like Bifurcation I can't bring myself to use chorus - or any modulation - but I don't mind when Robert Smith does. And I second the Thermionic. It's almost really good - but isn't.

I do love delay, but not modulated delay. Or modulated reverb. And "shimmer" anything makes me nauseous - it's like muzak. It's just so cheesy.

But then if I look at the title of this thread it makes me realise that no, I don't want to love these effects anyway. But I feel better now so thanks!

Coda

I have this issue with nearly every pedal I build, somewhat. I build a lot of fuzz pedals...I am chasing a tone. Every time I finish a build, I am super hapoo po Tb with the results, for a week or so, until I realize that it can’t do the tone in my head. It’s not that I don’t love them, I do (except the Companion Fuzz, it’s mostly useless), it’s just that they don’t end up how I want them to sound in my head...

I’m not sure any pedal will fit what I want to hear, but at least it’s fun searching.

...in reality, though, I bet it’s a Maestro FZ-1.

Last edited:

Barry

I can't think of anything I wanted to love but didn't, but I'm pretty shallow in what I want tone wise, I play blues and classic rock for the most part, so I don't need most of the stuff I build, but I enjoy building them, and maybe someday I'll use them or hand them off to someone who will.

thewintersoldier

As crazy as this is for some people, low to mud gain overdrive. I built the big three: klon, tube screamer and blues breaker (KOT). I mean all are a derivative of one or another it seams and really they all kinda sound the same to me. It's not like fuzz where there are fewer parts and each part makes a bigger difference. I find it hard to get excited for overdrive pedals.