Analogman nkt red dot hfe

thewintersoldier

I saw on Instagram today that someone took the transistors our of their sunface nkt 275 red dot and measure the gain. Q1 had an hfe of 30 and Q2 an hfe of 65. Quite outside the "normal" spec we have been lead to believe. Rather interesting as I have heard before the the it's not the range of gain that's important but the spread between the two transistors that's most important. Now discuss lol....

SillyOctpuss

I saw on Instagram today that someone took the transistors our of their sunface nkt 275 red dot and measure the gain. Q1 had an hfe of 30 and Q2 an hfe of 65. Quite outside the "normal" spec we have been lead to believe. Rather interesting as I have heard before the the it's not the range of gain that's important but the spread between the two transistors that's most important. Now discuss lol....
Thanks for this. I've wanted to know for a while what kind of figures he was using for those.

Reactions: fig

thewintersoldier

Now I wanna pull the transistors out of my nkt 🔴 and measure them
Do it Will, for science! just remember safety first then teamwork and...
Adam-Savage-Quotes-1.jpg

SillyOctpuss

I have loads of transistors in that range that I had discounted. I agree with Chris that analogman is definitely a good business man and king of hype.

I'm literally about to order russian germs from ebay. When you say loads, do you want to offload any you aren't using? I'm going to build my silicon and germanium sunfaces but I'm sorted for silicon.

peccary

I'm literally about to order russian germs from ebay. When you say loads, do you want to offload any you aren't using? I'm going to build my silicon and germanium sunfaces but I'm sorted for silicon.
I've bought three lots of them from ebay and I'd recommend it. They've all come from Russia or Belarus and I've not been disappointed and have enough of a spread to make multiples of most any fuzz I can think of. Go for it!

Just to add: shipping is hit or miss from that part of the world. I got some within two weeks and others in like 5 months. They will arrive but on their own timetable.

HamishR

I recently built a Hudson Broadcast which uses a PNP Ge tranny in it. Tried all my "good" brand name Ge transistors and all were badly biased/sounded awful. But every single Russian MP20 I tried in there sounded decent. Even with hfe ranging fro 20 to 90 with various degrees of leakage they all worked fine and sounded good.

I have found this many, many times. Maybe a good NKT75 is a great transistor. But I am sure all the good ones have now been used and honestly I am super happy with every single pedal I have built with Russian Ge transistors. Analogman is indeed a very good snakeoil salesman. So much hype. I have lost all interest in chasing western brand germaniums. Too much money for something probably a bit crap. A crap shoot at least. My Marshall Supa Fuzz built with Russian MP38s sounds awesomely good.

SillyOctpuss

There's an unbelievable amount of Russian germanium transistors on ebay from Russian sellers. Are these just oldy stock or are they still making them?