Angry Andy (JHS AT) and the 10k EQ pot

Elijah-Baley

Hello, I built the circuit of the JHS @ AT pedal.
The PedalPCB schematic, as well other variations of this pedal (Angry Charlie, Crunch Box...), has a 10k reverse log pot as EQ. So I tried it, and in combination with the Air pot seems to work fine, at my first tests.
I know that the original AT pedal has a 10k linear, I saw a picture of the internal side of the PCB where we can see well the pots and the EQ is really B10k. But, trying to replace the reverse log with the linear pot, how I expected with the EQ and the Air at noon the pedal sounds a bit muddy. Instead, listen some demo the original AT doesn't sound too muddy.

With my emulation software the linear EQ pot amount of the treble at noon is very close to the minimum setting, so little treble. While the reverse log at noon is close to the max setting, more treble (but no so close how it was the linear pot to the minimum settings).

I don't know if this has been discussed somehere already. Maybe the PedalPCB schematic is not 100% true. The reverse log pot is just to get a better sweep? Maybe the original one has an extra parts that make sounds no muddy using a 10k linear?
Anyway, in this video the EQ sweep seems very well balanced.

Back