Angry Charlie V3

Hexjibber

Hullo! Hope everyone is keeping well!

Latest build is an Angry Charlie, needed some snarly distortion on my board and being a total mids junkie the 3 band EQ and Marshall lineage sounded up my street! Sounds great, more or less exactly what I was after, more open and aggressive than my OCD and stacks well with my Timmy. Reverse etched and painted then sparklerised with glitter spray!

Almost ballsed up the pot placement/drilling by being too close to the screw inserts, didn't have any fancy pot condoms to hand so electrical tape had to do!

ac1.jpg
ac2.jpg
ac3.jpg

Hullo! Hope everyone is keeping well!

Latest build is an Angry Charlie, needed some snarly distortion on my board and being a total mids junkie the 3 band EQ and Marshall lineage sounded up my street! Sounds great, more or less exactly what I was after, more open and aggressive than my OCD and stacks well with my Timmy. Reverse etched and painted then sparklerised with glitter spray!

Almost ballsed up the pot placement/drilling by being too close to the screw inserts, didn't have any fancy pot condoms to hand so electrical tape had to do!

View attachment 5089
View attachment 5090
View attachment 5091
Great job as always!

It is beautiful, but I don’t get the relevance here
On many occasions in DIY community, there is a correction in the schematic of a certain pedal and if i make handmade PCB there is no prob to make another one with corrected traces, but, if i buy a factory made PCB according to the old schematic, I can throw it away if a new corrected schematic appears. That's the point! :)

@Hexjibber Beautiful and inspiring work (as always!). I think that you can lose the electrical tape without worry: if they touch the sides of the enclosure, it won't matter since everything involved is at a ground potential.

@Hexjibber Beautiful and inspiring work (as always!). I think that you can lose the electrical tape without worry: if they touch the sides of the enclosure, it won't matter since everything involved is at a ground potential.

Thanks! And also thanks again! I didn’t realise that was the case when it came to the pots, just a lack of understanding and inbuilt fear of something shorting out I think!

Thanks! And also thanks again! I didn’t realise that was the case when it came to the pots, just a lack of understanding and inbuilt fear of something shorting out I think!
The main concern with the pots shorting against anything is if there is a risk of shorting against the solder-side of the board. Since these pots extend past the board, there is no risk there. Also, your power input and your signal I/O jacks have sufficient clearance so that is not a concern either. There’s no harm in having the tape there, just a bit unnecessary in this situation.

The main concern with the pots shorting against anything is if there is a risk of shorting against the solder-side of the board. Since these pots extend past the board, there is no risk there. Also, your power input and your signal I/O jacks have sufficient clearance so that is not a concern either. There’s no harm in having the tape there, just a bit unnecessary in this situation.

Good to know, cheers!

Looks fantastic! I just read your blog on etching...will definitely try.
How does the reverse etching work? Did you basically etched away all the part that's in red sparkle?

Back