Another TSV808 Build... With a Lot More Dino - Now in an "All Black" Version... with even more photos!

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So, I loved the Tone Geek TSV808 clone... but while the enclosure was cool, it didn't exactly fit the Steggo idiom. So, I gave it another run...

Insta - Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN02 - 02.jpg

The interior and build follows exactly the same pattern as I used for my the first time I built the Above Top Secret board. The Tone Geek has an excellent Mouser BOM that follows the parts used on the original as closely as possible. I went ahead and carried that through to this build, and went high-end on the op amp as well. The end result is a pedal that isn't exactly cheap (though it's still over an order of magnitude less than the $1500 a real one will set you back!), but one that appears to capture the sound of the original - in a more user friendly package.

The big thing I've verified on these builds - you really need to attach the SPDT switches and all of the potentiometers (9mm and otherwise) to the board and then put it into the enclosure. Otherwise trying to line it up is incredibly difficult - especially since my 3PDT stomp switch is attached with aviation grade wire (that isn't particularly "bendy").

Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN02-3 - 01.jpg

For the enclosure, I decided to play off of Ryan's "Above Top Secret" board name rather than the original name of the pedal. So, meet the Secret Spinosaurus! Not only does the enclosure feature some really cool art by my lovely wife, I decided to go one step further and try something new. Tayda offers a gloss or matt layer which can be added (for a small additional fee). I'd seen others use this to add a texture or additional graphics to enclosures, even in the absence of underlying images. I therefore decided to take some of my licensed clipart Spinosaurus images and them in gloss only, and I think the end effect is absolutely killer.

Insta - Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN02-3 - 02.jpg

It even got the Steggo seal of approval!

(A tiny bit) more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/09/vemuram-tsv808-now-with-dino-enclosure.html

I'm now experimenting with a couple of "all black" versions with black anodized toggle switches, stomp switch, and stomp switch nut. One version I hand painted the washer (personal use), but at this point I'm thinking of just going with the larger nut because getting stuff to adhere to the silver washer is a pain in the butt, and I don't want to spend a week layering that thing every time I want to do a build...

My personal pedal...

Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - Black Edition - 01.jpg

Recent build for someone else:

Insta - Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN04 - 02.jpg

I think the "black" version works just a bit better...

Now with better pictures!

Insta - Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN05 - 01.jpg

... and with Steggo...

Insta - Tone Geek ATS - Secret Spinosaurus - SN05 - 03.jpg

... which shows off the hidden Spinosaurus... Spinosauruses? Spinosaurii???

Last edited:
Building more than one is quite the endorsement. The blacked out one is my favorite for sure. Where did you get the black mini toggles? I don't think I've seen those before.

Building more than one is quite the endorsement. The blacked out one is my favorite for sure. Where did you get the black mini toggles? I don't think I've seen those before.
Love My Switches added them a few months back, sold out, then got them back in stock. Ryan (Tone Geek) had suggested them for the Above Top Secret and Black Triangle builds which is how I found out about them.

Back