Anybody from Canada order with DHL yet?

p_wats

Alas, DHL just hit me with $32 in extra fees.

Means the delivery costs on these 3 PCBs totalled about $57CAD, which is a bummer.

Extra duties, etc. is the reason I usually stay far away from non-USPS methods, but I was hopeful with this small PCB order. Lesson learned!

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member

Oh man that's awful.

USPS seems to be improving compared to the past few months. Overall most of the First Class Package shipments seem to be arriving in the destination country within a week or two. One shipment to Canada was delivered within 6 days of shipping, that's record time.

A few are still running a bit behind, and oddly the delayed one from a few months ago are still delayed, slowly trickling in one by one.

The Economy option is still the slowest method so I would avoid it when possible, but I do understand sometimes the other methods just don't make sense economically.

p_wats

Thanks. I assumed it may have been because this order was over $100, but that's only after currency conversion (to give a sense of it, this 3 PCB order now cost a total of $155CAD---though there are 2 FV-1s in there).

My mistake, as I should have trusted past experience to tell me this would happen, but got excited by @Nostradoomus ' findings.

In any case, I don't think you'll see many Canadians using DHL, so hopefully the other options remain (Tayda is currently only offering DHL, which sucks for us up here).

Last edited:

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
In any case, I don't think you'll see many Canadians using DHL, so hopefully the other options remain (Tayda is currently only offering DHL, which sucks for us up here).

Oh definitely, I wouldn't force anyone into any shipping method.

That must be a non-US thing (maybe because of the COVID delays?) because Tayda still offers the standard USPS option here.

SYLV9ST9R

Means the delivery costs on these 3 PCBs totalled about $57CAD, which is a bummer.

Extra duties, etc. is the reason I usually stay far away from non-USPS methods, but I was hopeful with this small PCB order. Lesson learned!
Thanks for taking one for the team. I'll stick with the regular option as I'll be hit with the Tayda charges already.

p_wats

Anyone want to go in with me to start a Canadian depot for this stuff? I can store a bunch of PCBs/parts here. I doubt there's enough business up here to necessitate a full @PedalPCB branch, but I'm game! ;)

Nostradoomus

And thanks for taking one for the team @p_wats ! I kinda figured that may be the case, guess I’ll stick to smaller orders. I don’t mind paying 5 bucks more for shipping when it’s that fast. I do wonder what the limit is for when they decide to charge you. 50USD? Who knows.

S-lam-fx

Hey @p_wats ! long time! I always seem to get dinged on duties w/DHL.. especially with Tayda where the package always gets routed through the US. They're always fast, but the duties add up.... I only seem to avoid duties with snail mail. I'm with you if you want to start something up.

p_wats

Hey @p_wats ! long time! I always seem to get dinged on duties w/DHL.. especially with Tayda where the package always gets routed through the US. They're always fast, but the duties add up.... I only seem to avoid duties with snail mail. I'm with you if you want to start something up.

Woah! Hey! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well. Would be cool to team up on some things. I'll DM you.

Barry

Thanks. I assumed it may have been because this order was over $100, but that's only after currency conversion (to give a sense of it, this 3 PCB order now cost a total of $155CAD---though there are 2 FV-1s in there).

My mistake, as I should have trusted past experience to tell me this would happen, but got excited by @Nostradoomus ' findings.

Would it be beneficial to ship it to someone in the US and them forward it USPS?

SYLV9ST9R

Would it be beneficial to ship it to someone in the US and them forward it USPS?
Probably not. This week, I paid 30$ CAD duties for a 200$ CAD order. I had asked them to mark down value (they did, from about 140 to 60 U$D). It was a fairly sized box with 4 enclosures, so shipping from US to Canada would amount to the same or more...
That's mainly the reason why I sold a couple of pedals, to offset those fees.
I think ordering large orders and asking them to mark down value might be the way to go. Sucks when you messed up the value of 1 bag of components...:rolleyes:

Nostradoomus

So I was getting a few boards ready last night and according to the duty/tax calculator on JLCPCBs website the import tax threshold for Canada is 20 dollars. Import tax threshold for the US is 800 dollars. The fees make sense now! Also, fuck!

bentleybrandon

New here, but just wanted to give my experience with Tayda using DHL to Canada (Montreal).

Ordered $145 usd (~$185 cad) worth of stuff from Tayda, +$8.50 shipping. Was charged $45 canadian for the customs/DHL fees. However, it did ship very fast, I ordered on the night of the 7th, delivery started on the 9th from Bangkok and was here today in Montreal. So the fees did suck but the shipping was cheaper than other places using USPS/Canada Post (not including the fees) and is much faster.

SYLV9ST9R

New here, but just wanted to give my experience with Tayda using DHL to Canada (Montreal).

Ordered $145 usd (~$185 cad) worth of stuff from Tayda, +$8.50 shipping. Was charged $45 canadian for the customs/DHL fees. However, it did ship very fast, I ordered on the night of the 7th, delivery started on the 9th from Bangkok and was here today in Montreal. So the fees did suck but the shipping was cheaper than other places using USPS/Canada Post (not including the fees) and is much faster.
You can ask them to lower the marked value, it might shed 10-15 dollars on the fees.

peccary

I'm on the west cost USA and I had a package from Tayda reach me next day through DHL from Thailand. I was pretty amazed. The extra fees are nuts. Is that a Canadian thing in particular? Bummer, dude.

Last edited:

rjkuyvenhoven

It is a Canadian plus Courier thing. We are getting dinged for GST/PST/HST plus the courier fee for the privilege of collecting those taxes.

Tayda is offering shipping thru registered mail now (I assume they offered this pre COVID, but I only started ordering from them this summer). It'll take longer but presumably Canada Post won't ding for the taxes. I used this on my most recent order (Jan 3) so we'll see how that works out.

AubreySound

Anyone want to go in with me to start a Canadian depot for this stuff? I can store a bunch of PCBs/parts here. I doubt there's enough business up here to necessitate a full @PedalPCB branch, but I'm game! ;)
I've just done my first orders of stuff from Tayda, Stompbox parts, Madbeans, and PedalPCB.. and I've already had the same thought.. Canadian supplier w a site that has the same ease of use as Tayda.. :D