Anyone built a Tube Driver?

jhaneyzz

A certain shoeless forum member got me intrigued with the Tube Driver pedal.

YouTube demos and shootouts seem pretty compelling but what really has me intrigued are the silly grin on TPS Mick’s face when he was playing one. Obviously there is something special about this circuit.

I was checking out the board and kits for the TH Custom Effects version TH Tube Driver and noticed it has a CD40106 chip that isn’t in the Effects Layouts version and I’m not really sure what it does.

BK Butler Tube Driver

Any thoughts on which one I should build?

I’ve got my toner transfer etching down and I happen to have the tube hardware and a couple of 12AX7s already.

The CD40106 appears to be a voltage multiplier for the tube PS.
Based upon were it was in the circuit I assumed it must have something to do with that. Plus, the Effects Layouts version has the LT1054 charge pump which I am familiar with.

OK, so I'm going to build one but in minorly breaks my promise to myself to never mess with high voltage electronics. Previous threshold was 24 volts.

Am I overthinking this? I know 60V isn't deadly but any tips on how not to zap myself would be appreciated.

OK, so I'm going to build one but in minorly breaks my promise to myself to never mess with high voltage electronics. Previous threshold was 24 volts.

Am I overthinking this? I know 60V isn't deadly but any tips on how not to zap myself would be appreciated.
High voltage: Stand on an insulated mat, and put one hand behind your back tucked into your waistline. If you manage to accidentally touch high voltage the current will not flow across your heart and cause defibrillation, plus you won't wake up in a heaping pile on the floor, with possible puncture wounds.

When ever possible, use wooden chopsticks to move wires, etc, these will conduct electricity, but the level of voltage required is so high it will just jump through the air and fry you anyway; i.e. 5000 volt high power lines. This technique is especially useful with tube amp hooked up to oscilloscope.

Many times improper "wire dressing" can cause the what's known as the coronal effect, where EMR just inducts from one wire into a neighboring wire, causing run away oscillation. I've watched a box of squiggly lines turn into a perfect wave form using chopsticks to move wires in the preamp section where the signal is still in millivolts and the power is in the hundreds of volts.

Build a voltage draining device with a one gang box, a 125v 30A switch, 12awg wire and alligator clips. With the switch off, connect one clip to earth ground and one to the center of the high voltage capacitor(s). Flip switch and use volt meter to be sure "it's dead Jim."

Umm... I think that's about it.

edited: Oh yeah, FEAR THE WIRE, this alone will help prevent accidents.

High voltage: Stand on an insulated mat, and put one hand behind your back tucked into your waistline. If you manage to accidentally touch high voltage the current will not flow across your heart and cause defibrillation, plus you won't wake up in a heaping pile on the floor, with possible puncture wounds.

When ever possible, use wooden chopsticks to move wires, etc, these will conduct electricity, but the level of voltage required is so high it will just jump through the air and fry you anyway; i.e. 5000 volt high power lines. This technique is especially useful with tube amp hooked up to oscilloscope.

Many times improper "wire dressing" can cause the what's known as the coronal effect, where EMR just inducts from one wire into a neighboring wire, causing run away oscillation. I've watched a box of squiggly lines turn into a perfect wave form using chopsticks to move wires in the preamp section where the signal is still in millivolts and the power is in the hundreds of volts.

Build a voltage draining device with a one gang box, a 125v 30A switch, 12awg wire and alligator clips. With the switch off, connect one clip to earth ground and one to the center of the high voltage capacitor(s). Flip switch and use volt meter to be sure "it's dead Jim."

Umm... I think that's about it.

edited: Oh yeah, FEAR THE WIRE, this alone will help prevent accidents.
Thanks... but I think I hate you... :)

Why are we talking about high voltage on a tube driver?

Isn’t it a voltage starved tube stage?

There’s more DC voltage in the power rail of my Aion Ares than a tube driver.

Last edited:

Take your time, build it right the first time, read the build docs first before you start, and you won’t have to go probing around in a high voltage circuit.

Why are we talking about high voltage on a tube driver?

Isn’t it a voltage starved tube stage?

There’s more DC voltage in the power rail of my Aion Ares than a tube driver.
The question was asked..... Really even the 125v from the socket is just a rude slap in the face, it's when you get up to 200v that serious shit starts to happen, and 400v can be *really* bad.

I remember when we only had 440v going through the power lines, one went down a couple blocks from my house. I'm walking the dog and as we get closer to the firemen and police I hear what sounds like gunshots or M80's going off. Sometimes in rapid succession. As I edge myself closer I see the down wire hit the cement and explode in a shower of cement chips.

A few days later I walk by and there where HOLES, ***B*I*G*** holes in the cement. Now that's nasty...... We have 4,800 volt lines now. They cut all the trees down in line with the wires explaining that tall trees can pick up so much juice that touching the tree fries you. I'm pretty sure they weren't joking.........

The question was asked..... Really even the 125v from the socket is just a rude slap in the face, it's when you get up to 200v that serious shit starts to happen, and 400v can be *really* bad.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, the tube driver has B+ voltage of like 25 vDC. I don’t think we need one of our hands in our pocket to work that…😂

I remember when we only had 440v going through the power lines, one went down a couple blocks from my house. I'm walking the dog and as we get closer to the firemen and police I hear what sounds like gunshots or M80's going off. Sometimes in rapid succession. As I edge myself closer I see the down wire hit the cement and explode in a shower of cement chips.

A few days later I walk by and there where HOLES, ***B*I*G*** holes in the cement. Now that's nasty...... We have 4,800 volt lines now. They cut all the trees down in line with the wires explaining that tall trees can pick up so much juice that touching the tree fries you. I'm pretty sure they weren't joking.........

They certainly were not joking. I work as a distribution protection engineer at my regional utility.

Step and touch potential are NO FUCKING JOKE. We just had 2 17 year old kids in our operating region get shocked to death due to touch potential from a downed 4.8kV line. It was storming, tree came down in the middle of the road and 2 of them got out to try and move it and got shocked trough the touch potential the tree had. Their 2 friends watched it all happen from the car.

That’s sad story aside, a tube driver should be no different than any other low voltage circuit we work.

Hell, I was chopsticking my live amp today.

Last edited:
I figured it was worth asking so I made sure some crazy shit i didn't understand was afoot. I have see a downed power line literally MELT through 2 feet of concrete before my eyes. makes ya kinda sober...

The best overdrive builds require some cold blood, lots of guts and steady hands. You knew that when you started this hobby.

Hopefully and with a lot of luck, you ll be safe.

can't wait to see the build report if, by some miracle, you succeed and finish this build alive.

Last edited:
Unless I’m reading it wrong, the tube driver has B+ voltage of like 25 vDC. I don’t think we need one of our hands in our pocket to work that…😂

They certainly were not joking. I work as a distribution protection engineer at my regional utility.

Step and touch potential are NO FUCKING JOKE. We just had 2 17 year old kids in our operating region get shocked to death due to touch potential from a downed 4.8kV line. It was storming, tree came down in the middle of the road and 2 of them got out to try and move it and got shocked trough the touch potential the tree had. Their 2 friends watched it all happen from the car.

That’s sad story aside, a tube driver should be no different than any other low voltage circuit we work.

Hell, I was chopsticking my live amp today.
Yeah I didn't really read how much voltage, and certainly DC is nothing to worry about unless you're standing in a puddle of water with bare feet...

I was having dinner once with a TV crew I hadn't worked with before on a job on location - I was shooting stills on this job. They were talking about a sound guy they knew who had a bad accident and had to quit doing sound. Apparently he was walking around a train workshop with his carbon fibre boom and it got too close to the overhead lines. It didn't touch but it arced and bang! He was smoking. He was quite badly hurt and ended up in hospital for a week.

So they're all pondering his situation, and one of them asks "Does anyone know what he's up to these days?" There was no answer so I said "oh I heard he got into music. He loves opera and he's quite in demand..." A few heads nodded in interest... "Because he's such a good conductor".

A certain shoeless forum member got me intrigued with the Tube Driver pedal.

YouTube demos and shootouts seem pretty compelling but what really has me intrigued are the silly grin on TPS Mick’s face when he was playing one. Obviously there is something special about this circuit.

I was checking out the board and kits for the TH Custom Effects version TH Tube Driver and noticed it has a CD40106 chip that isn’t in the Effects Layouts version and I’m not really sure what it does.

BK Butler Tube Driver

Any thoughts on which one I should build?

I’ve got my toner transfer etching down and I happen to have the tube hardware and a couple of 12AX7s already.
Have you looked at the Mad Bean Archibald? That's an enclosed version. Gives you more artwork room for your most excellent etching process.

I've got the board but have yet to build it.

Back