Ballpark voltages suggestion

mybud

This might be better placed under General Questions but it bears on troubleshooting concerns, so here goes FWIW:

Would the collective wisdom consider adding a list of working voltage measurements to the troubleshooting resources already available? I assume any number of things here but note that the MBP documentation contains such data (at least, those that I’ve seen naturally). This is a very valuable resource, I think. I will turn to these data when the time comes to fix my recent Kompromat build which has mysteriously gone awry. That’s a story and task for a different day.

So it struck me that posting such data might assist with the process of solving any build issues from PedalPCB. We might begin by collating existing build reports which feature these voltages and copying them to a new thread. This also assumes that those newer builders (and others) consulting the data would then develop skills in reading schematics and getting to understand how to get and use measurements accordingly.

This task would clearly depend on the goodwill of folks here, of which there is already plenty of evidence TMM. If I have somehow overlooked particular resources that mention these, apologies.

I’m interested in the wisdom’s opinion and will assist in collating as required.

Finally, to take this forward, members of the collective wisdom might measure successful builds as an ongoing contribution?

Thanks, this was meant to be brief 🙃 Thoughts?

In some cases, the DC voltages are predictable & repeatable. In other cases, not so much. Opamp circuits are examples of the former, Ge-based fuzz circuits are examples of the latter. In circuits with bias trimmers, the voltages are often a matter of personal preference.

Are the measurements going to be peer-reviewed for accuracy? They should be, because bad data is worse than no data.

It's a good idea, but not a panacea. Troubleshooting is not a cookbook operation, you have to understand what you're doing every step of the way and know how to interpret the measurements, otherwise it's easy to get lost and frustrated.

I agree with chuck after my 2nd or 3rd build the voltage sheet would be pretty useless. Seems like a lot of work for something that I don’t think there would be a lot of benefit if for most. If there’s something quirky about a particular build sure.

Learning to read schematics has been a huge life saver, for me. It’s really sped up my troubleshooting process. It’s not rocket science and I have no background in electronics past building pedals.

Back