Baron of Arizona (Madbean Fraudhacker) Flanger

blackhatboojum

Gather around kids. It's story time.

I'm going to start with what this pcb is based off of. The Boss BF-2. This is the circuit that started my flanger obsession. Back when I was in my late teens around 1998, I picked up a Boss BF-2 from my local guitar shop. At the time, I didn't know anything about effects, how circuits worked, or even how to play guitar really. All I knew is I loved the sounds I could get out of this pedal. For the next couple of decades, the BF-2 became my boomerang pedal. I sold off my original, moved onto other stuff, bought another one again, sold that one, several years later, buy another one... You see the pattern here. No matter what, I was always coming back to the trusty BF-2. At one point, I actually owned four of them. 2 of them I bought broken, was able to fix them, and then flipped them for some cash. One I kept bone stock and another I modded the hell out of. Those 3 BF-2s that I poked around in with a soldering iron, is actually what led me to building my own effects. As you can see, I owe a lot to that purple box of swoosh. I've studied this circuit, I've modded this circuit, I've got years of playing through this circuit, and this is the second time I've done a DIY of this circuit. It's safe to say that this purple bitch and I are pretty intimate at this point. All that being said, this build is without a doubt, a Boss BF-2 through and through. This thing is like an old pair of boots for me. Yeah, I have nicer footwear but, that old pair of Redwings just fit and feel great. Same can be said with this pedal. It just fits and feels right to me.

Build wise, it was a breeze. Absolutely no issues at all putting it together and setting it up. I actually boxed it before I rocked it. Not the smartest thing to do but, I was confident as hell going into this one. So confident that I didn't even look at the calibration instructions in the build docs. I just went off of the boss service notes that I have memorized at this point. Again, probably not the smartest thing to do but, it worked out perfectly for me. Aesthetically, I went with a Tayda viola pink enclosure. The color reminds of the last OG BF-2 I used to own. It was no longer that byzantine purple and it had faded to pink. Hence the color choice. You're all probably wondering about the mutton chop fella and the name I picked out for this build. Well... fear not because here comes the 2nd part of my story.

The man pictured on my enclosure is James Addison Reavis, aka The Baron of Arizona. A fraudster and forger that almost ended up owning 18,600 square miles of land in the central Arizona Territory and Western New Mexico Territory.

Reavis was born in Henry County, Missouri in 1843. When the Civil War broke he joined a Confederate unit, but soon got homesick. He began writing his own military passes and forging his commanding officer’s signature. Soon he was on leave more than he was on duty. Finally he forged discharge papers and went home for good.

After the war he found work in a real estate office in St. Louis where he used his skill in forgery to earn money on some dubious land deals. Honing his skills in forgery, Reavis was soon ready for the big time.

Reavis invented a family lineage that began with a Don Nemecio Silva de Peralta de la Cordoba. The fictitious Peralta was given the title of Baron de los Colorados by Kind Ferdinand VI in 1748, along with a huge grant of land. To explain how he came into possession of the grant, Reavis claimed he acquired title from a George Willing, a mine developer, who’d come to Arizona and purchased it from Miguel Peralta, a poverty-stricken descendant of the Baron. Willing had recorded the deed in Prescott, in March, 1874, and died the next day. Miguel Peralta was also a figment of Reavis’ fertile imagination.

The land Reavis claimed was nearly twelve million acres, running through the heart of Arizona. It extended from today’s Sun City across to Silver City, New Mexico. It included rich mining properties and the tall, rangy Missourian with the muttonchops beard had an incredible gift of gab, and was a natural born salesman and wheeler-dealer. He was able to convince the owners of the Southern Pacific Railroad and several large mine owners his land grant claim was legitimate.

Reavis needed another connection to the Peralta family and he found her in the person of a sixteen-year-old Mexican orphan. He convinced the youngster she was descended from the Peralta family, educated, and then married her. To a master forger it was a simple task to alter church records and make her the last surviving member of the illustrious but fictional Peraltas. He traveled to Mexico City and Guadalajara, spending hours in museums and archives. He experimented with various inks and paper, learning to match the ancient documents. He even bought some anonymous old portraits in a Spanish flea market and designated them as various members of the Peralta lineage.

Reavis didn’t plan to evict the occupants from his barony. All he wanted to do was extort enough in fees for rent and quit claim deeds to support him and his wife in a courtly manner. The railroad gave him $50,000 and the Silver King mine paid $25,000. The large mine owners and Southern Pacific Railroad nabobs decided it was cheaper to pay the baron his fees rather than fight him and risk losing their valuable properties. It was the small landowners who took umbrage and caused his undoing. At first they wanted to lynch the smooth-talking baron. The federal government at one point considered paying him millions to settle the claim.

Everything was going well for the baron but the wheels of justice were slowly turning to expose the fraud. Investigator Royal Johnson released his report in 1889 disclosing forgeries and historical inaccuracies. It was also claimed that a water mark from a mill in Wisconsin was found on one of the historical documents. Another said the calligraphy used in the documents was a recent design. Some parts of the documents were written in quill, while others were in steel pen. The steel pen didn’t come into use until the 1800s. After some encouragement from “friends in high places”, Reavis overplayed his hand by suing the U.S. Government for eleven million dollars. Not taking kindly to being sued, the US government went on the offensive and begin to investigate Reavis.

The evidence against Reavis was overwhelming and he lost the case. The moment he left the courthouse U.S. Marshal’s placed him under arrest, charging him with fraud. His friends in high places evaporated overnight.

In 1895 Reavis was brought to trial, found guilty, and sentenced to only two years in the penitentiary in Santa Fe and fined $5,000.

So, there you have it. My inspiration for the Fraudhacker being called the Baron of Arizona. And with that, I bid all of you Adieu. This marks the end of my pedal building journey. I've built and played everything I've ever wanted to try. Some of which I've built multiples of, this circuit included. There's nothing else left for me at this point. I've got my shit now and it's time for me to enjoy it. I urge the rest of you to stop obsessing over mojo filled components and values, and embrace the art of playing. There are no special tubes and there are no magical hfe values. It's all about the sounds you make with your guitar and your hands. That's the real shit that makes your nether regions tingle. I suggest you embrace that shit.

Deuces ✌️

9E8598A1-3687-42D6-94C0-80768572A663.jpeg
8D034D4F-A7BF-4EFE-8627-02ED7828594C.jpeg

Gather around kids. It's story time.

I'm going to start with what this pcb is based off of. The Boss BF-2. This is the circuit that started my flanger obsession. Back when I was in my late teens around 1998, I picked up a Boss BF-2 from my local guitar shop. At the time, I didn't know anything about effects, how circuits worked, or even how to play guitar really. All I knew is I loved the sounds I could get out of this pedal. For the next couple of decades, the BF-2 became my boomerang pedal. I sold off my original, moved onto other stuff, bought another one again, sold that one, several years later, buy another one... You see the pattern here. No matter what, I was always coming back to the trusty BF-2. At one point, I actually owned four of them. 2 of them I bought broken, was able to fix them, and then flipped them for some cash. One I kept bone stock and another I modded the hell out of. Those 3 BF-2s that I poked around in with a soldering iron, is actually what led me to building my own effects. As you can see, I owe a lot to that purple box of swoosh. I've studied this circuit, I've modded this circuit, I've got years of playing through this circuit, and this is the second time I've done a DIY of this circuit. It's safe to say that this purple bitch and I are pretty intimate at this point. All that being said, this build is without a doubt, a Boss BF-2 through and through. This thing is like an old pair of boots for me. Yeah, I have nicer footwear but, that old pair of Redwings just fit and feel great. Same can be said with this pedal. It just fits and feels right to me.

Build wise, it was a breeze. Absolutely no issues at all putting it together and setting it up. I actually boxed it before I rocked it. Not the smartest thing to do but, I was confident as hell going into this one. So confident that I didn't even look at the calibration instructions in the build docs. I just went off of the boss service notes that I have memorized at this point. Again, probably not the smartest thing to do but, it worked out perfectly for me. Aesthetically, I went with a Tayda viola pink enclosure. The color reminds of the last OG BF-2 I used to own. It was no longer that byzantine purple and it had faded to pink. Hence the color choice. You're all probably wondering about the mutton chop fella and the name I picked out for this build. Well... fear not because here comes the 2nd part of my story.

The man pictured on my enclosure is James Addison Reavis, aka The Baron of Arizona. A fraudster and forger that almost ended up owning 18,600 square miles of land in the central Arizona Territory and Western New Mexico Territory.

Reavis was born in Henry County, Missouri in 1843. When the Civil War broke he joined a Confederate unit, but soon got homesick. He began writing his own military passes and forging his commanding officer’s signature. Soon he was on leave more than he was on duty. Finally he forged discharge papers and went home for good.

After the war he found work in a real estate office in St. Louis where he used his skill in forgery to earn money on some dubious land deals. Honing his skills in forgery, Reavis was soon ready for the big time.

Reavis invented a family lineage that began with a Don Nemecio Silva de Peralta de la Cordoba. The fictitious Peralta was given the title of Baron de los Colorados by Kind Ferdinand VI in 1748, along with a huge grant of land. To explain how he came into possession of the grant, Reavis claimed he acquired title from a George Willing, a mine developer, who’d come to Arizona and purchased it from Miguel Peralta, a poverty-stricken descendant of the Baron. Willing had recorded the deed in Prescott, in March, 1874, and died the next day. Miguel Peralta was also a figment of Reavis’ fertile imagination.

The land Reavis claimed was nearly twelve million acres, running through the heart of Arizona. It extended from today’s Sun City across to Silver City, New Mexico. It included rich mining properties and the tall, rangy Missourian with the muttonchops beard had an incredible gift of gab, and was a natural born salesman and wheeler-dealer. He was able to convince the owners of the Southern Pacific Railroad and several large mine owners his land grant claim was legitimate.

Reavis needed another connection to the Peralta family and he found her in the person of a sixteen-year-old Mexican orphan. He convinced the youngster she was descended from the Peralta family, educated, and then married her. To a master forger it was a simple task to alter church records and make her the last surviving member of the illustrious but fictional Peraltas. He traveled to Mexico City and Guadalajara, spending hours in museums and archives. He experimented with various inks and paper, learning to match the ancient documents. He even bought some anonymous old portraits in a Spanish flea market and designated them as various members of the Peralta lineage.

Reavis didn’t plan to evict the occupants from his barony. All he wanted to do was extort enough in fees for rent and quit claim deeds to support him and his wife in a courtly manner. The railroad gave him $50,000 and the Silver King mine paid $25,000. The large mine owners and Southern Pacific Railroad nabobs decided it was cheaper to pay the baron his fees rather than fight him and risk losing their valuable properties. It was the small landowners who took umbrage and caused his undoing. At first they wanted to lynch the smooth-talking baron. The federal government at one point considered paying him millions to settle the claim.

Everything was going well for the baron but the wheels of justice were slowly turning to expose the fraud. Investigator Royal Johnson released his report in 1889 disclosing forgeries and historical inaccuracies. It was also claimed that a water mark from a mill in Wisconsin was found on one of the historical documents. Another said the calligraphy used in the documents was a recent design. Some parts of the documents were written in quill, while others were in steel pen. The steel pen didn’t come into use until the 1800s. After some encouragement from “friends in high places”, Reavis overplayed his hand by suing the U.S. Government for eleven million dollars. Not taking kindly to being sued, the US government went on the offensive and begin to investigate Reavis.

The evidence against Reavis was overwhelming and he lost the case. The moment he left the courthouse U.S. Marshal’s placed him under arrest, charging him with fraud. His friends in high places evaporated overnight.

In 1895 Reavis was brought to trial, found guilty, and sentenced to only two years in the penitentiary in Santa Fe and fined $5,000.

So, there you have it. My inspiration for the Fraudhacker being called the Baron of Arizona. And with that, I bid all of you Adieu. This marks the end of my pedal building journey. I've built and played everything I've ever wanted to try. Some of which I've built multiples of, this circuit included. There's nothing else left for me at this point. I've got my shit now and it's time for me to enjoy it. I urge the rest of you to stop obsessing over mojo filled components and values, and embrace the art of playing. There are no special tubes and there are no magical hfe values. It's all about the sounds you make with your guitar and your hands. That's the real shit that makes your nether regions tingle. I suggest you embrace that shit.

Deuces ✌️

View attachment 32237
View attachment 32238
Well I hope you get the itch to build once in a while and post. I'm going to miss your awesome build reports and inspiration for me! But yah, actually playing what you build is a good thing, go make some noise man!

Lol, what's the meaning of this phrase "last build?" I didn't think pedal building could get in the way of the loudness. Playing more is definitely good advice though. Way to crescendo through the end. Bookended your journey nicely.

Best build reports in the game 😍🥵🥵🥵 the pedal is decent too I guess 😂
Thanks Will! I'm full of useless information but, I'm thrilled you enjoy my stories
Hot pink and a mic drop. You certainly know how to get my attention!
Thanks Joe! I'm not trying to get get anyone's attention. I'm just speaking my truth.
Thats one bad dude! AND ONE BAD PEDAL!
Many thanks! Dude got off light considering how much money he extorted. Just shows how much society loves a vigilante story.
Hot damn, that is a great story and a worthy pedal name/graphic. I wish you luck on your playing journey. I am just getting started building but I think you may be right.
Huge thanks! I'm just a 40 year old schmuck soldering shit together in his garage but, I really believe what I said in my build report. Embrace what makes your nether regions tingle.
All hail the mighty @fig ! I love you too Tim ;)
Im sweating I placed I didn't know I could sweat. How does it compare to the bizantium and which do you prefer)sounds better?
GIF%20KQ%202%20Toronto2%20bohemian%20queen%20lilybop-M.gif
Many thanks Chris! And I expect nothing less from you than to call me out and speak the truth. No bullshit, That's what I love about you brother ;). To answer your questions and to be perfectly honest... I prefer the madbean version better. It doesn't have the same noise level and it was easier to build. Mainly because it's not a stacked pcb stuffed into a 125B. The space available in the 1590B makes for less user error. I actually just requested the schematic for the Byzantium because I wanted to contrast and compare any differences. To Bugg's credit, the Byzantium is pretty much spot on to the OG BF-2. No offense Bugg but, I actually was trying to catch you in some tomfoolery with this circuit ;). The only thing I really noticed was the order of the cap and resistor on the input. One thing I will critique though is the lack of build documentation. Seriously Bugg... Not everyone is familiar with this circuit like I am. It's been almost a year since you released it. You gotta give these folks The ins and outs of this thing. A parts list isn't good enough and just doesn't cut it my man. This is a great flanger brother and more people need to experience it but, they need proper build docs.. Back to your point though Chris... I like this one more. Not everything needs to be in a 125B and it feels and sounds just slightly more BF-2 than my other build.
Well I hope you get the itch to build once in a while and post. I'm going to miss your awesome build reports and inspiration for me! But yah, actually playing what you build is a good thing, go make some noise man!
Thanks for the kind words my man!

Last edited:
Nice build! Hey, there's no reason you can't still hang around just because you're taking a break from building stuff.

No offense taken whatsoever. :)
I don't build shit and I'm still here 🙃
Thanks. I’m sure I’ll check in every now and then but, I’ll also be that creepy middle aged guy lurking in the shadows with nothing to say.
As a 41 year old schmuck who occasionally solders some stuff together in his basement, those are words to live by.
I can’t agree more.
This place is lousy with elder millennials. Like myself. Reganomics babies.
Word. It seems like yesterday that we used to laugh at those guys. Now we are those guys 😑.

Last edited:
Back