Bass octaver preference

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Hey folks. I’m a big Tony Levin fan, and recently I’ve been fixated on his tone on Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer— one of the most famous and recognizable uses of the Boss OC-2. Lately I’ve been thinking I should probably have an more traditional analog octaver on my bass rig (currently it’s all crazy synth stuff) and while the Ocelot seems like the obvious choice for copping the Sledgehammer sound, I’d ideally like something that has an octave up too. The options I’m aware of for that are:
  • Octarock (Foxrox Octron 3)
    • Pros: strong upper octave from what I’ve heard
    • Cons: no -2 octave knob
  • Captain Bit (EQD Bit Commander)
    • Pros: master volume in addition to levels for each octave
    • Cons: might not have such a clean suboctave sound based on some demos
  • DelykPCB Up Down Daddy (Modified Pearl OC-7)
    • Pros: the oc-7 is a classic
    • Cons: looks like hell to build
I also hear Madbean may be bringing back a revised version of their OC-7 PCB soon.

I’m sure there are other PCBs than what I’ve listed above for both sub octaves and octave up in one box, but I’m not familiar with them.

Bassists of PPCB— give me your thoughts on your favorite analog octave circuits!

Tagboard has an OC-2 layout. I have a Boss OC-3 an updown addy and a madbean low rider. The updown daddy isn’t as bad as it looks. The other two have 1590bb footprints. I like the smaller foot print of the Delyk board.

BYOC still offers the Mu-Tron Divided Octave, which I enjoy. It uses a different Suboctave topology than the OC-2, OC-07, and Octarock, and the octave up is essentially a Green Ringer

The sustain on the lower octave is better than the others, in my opinion. And, I really like the Bass Only footswitch

Delyk's project is easy to build in my experience. Resistors are standing and a few are on the other side of the board, narrow spot on the trimmer for the upper octave, that's it.

You didn't mention Downtown Fuzz, that's my favorite octaver for Bass.

There's a Tone control to shape the octaves, it's really effective with a wide range of action. Combined with the Blend control, you can dial all sorts of sounds. The Fuzz circuit is amazing, the bass boost toggle is able to make the whole room shake and vibrate.
It can be more than an octaver, a friend bassist used to play with it as some sort of EQ in his setup.

Last edited:
I think the Captain Bit is more of a synthy square wave sound than a clean octave. It sounds great but not clean at all. Octron is the polar opposite of that, with a very nice clean octave down. I love how it sounds.

Between my Ocelot, Octorok, and Octabvre I really and truly prefer my plain ol Ocelot. Might be because I installed an intelligent bypass relay switch so I can do momentary octave down

Ocelot is king around here but the octorock is similar enough that i likely wouldn't miss the ocelot. @DGWVI pointed out a while back that you can actually mod the octorock to be a more true oc2 sound so that's a good option.

Captain bit is definitely not what you're looking for, it's a lot closer to the synthy parasit offerings which I prefer. Speaking of parasit, the U-235 is worth trying also. I've used that one in several projects. The octave is strong and clean. It also has a switch to go from 1, 1.5, and 2 octaves. There's a timmer to tune the inbetweener.

Ocelot is king around here but the octorock is similar enough that i likely wouldn't miss the ocelot. @DGWVI pointed out a while back that you can actually mod the octorock to be a more true oc2 sound so that's a good option.

Captain bit is definitely not what you're looking for, it's a lot closer to the synthy parasit offerings which I prefer. Speaking of parasit, the U-235 is worth trying also. I've used that one in several projects. The octave is strong and clean. It also has a switch to go from 1, 1.5, and 2 octaves. There's a timmer to tune the inbetweener.
I always forget about the U-235. It's super smooth, and probably the "cleanest" of the bunch, but it is PLL driven, so it also has its own glitchiness. My favorite bit is that you can kinda get the blend to react to your picking strength- soft gives you just the clean tone, digging in triggers the suboctave.

Another option I forgot about is the THCustoms U-Boat. Just make sure you get the THCustoms board, as the others I've found online aren't accurate. The less synthy, two knob one is the THC version, the other is the EPK board, which sounds great but isn't accurate to Merlin's design

Edit to add- the U-235 and U-Boat are the loudest (stock) suboctave circuits I've used

BYOC still offers the Mu-Tron Divided Octave, which I enjoy. It uses a different Suboctave topology than the OC-2, OC-07, and Octarock, and the octave up is essentially a Green Ringer

The sustain on the lower octave is better than the others, in my opinion. And, I really like the Bass Only footswitch
Definitely an interesting one. I always forget BYOC exists. I’ve always wanted to build a Mutron octave divider though, especially since it’s the classic Peter Frampton octave sound. Might have to order one of those at some point, and even if I don’t wind up digging it for bass, it’ll still be fun on guitar.

Delyk's project is easy to build in my experience. Resistors are standing and a few are on the other side of the board, narrow spot on the trimmer for the upper octave, that's it.
The standing resistors just look like a pain to do, especially in such close proximity, but maybe it’s worth sucking it up and just building it already!

You didn't mention Downtown Fuzz, that's my favorite octaver for Bass.

There's a Tone control to shape the octaves, it's really effective with a wide range of action. Combined with the Blend control, you can dial all sorts of sounds. The Fuzz circuit is amazing, the bass boost toggle is able to make the whole room room shake and vibrate.
It can be more than an octaver, a friend bassist used to play with it as some sort of EQ in his setup.
Downtown looks cool for sure, but especially with a large footprint like that having just the two octaves I’d probably just do an OC-2 instead. The additional features seem cool, but I already have a few fuzzy synth pedals with great suboctaves to cover that ground, and for room shaking, the meatbox at the end of my chain is a good time. Definitely one I’ll have to check out as a build for the future though, probably as the type of thing I just play with off the pedalboard for fun, and for occasional recording.

I think the Captain Bit is more of a synthy square wave sound than a clean octave. It sounds great but not clean at all. Octron is the polar opposite of that, with a very nice clean octave down. I love how it sounds.
Definitely good to know. I thought the Captain but was a bit more of a square wave thing, but I couldn’t remember for sure.
The Octarock is definitely seeming like one I should build based on comments like this. I’ll check out the mods because that sounds like the best of both worlds. Only thing better would be if I could either mod the Octarock for an additional octave down with some stripboard magic, or if I put together my own (probably SMD) layout of an OC-2 combined with the upper octave of the Octarock.
The U-235 is a really cool one! I have a PCB for it, but the lack of ability to control separate levels takes it out of the running in this case. That said, I have a ton of plans for my 235 build, so that should be a fun one down the road.

Another option I forgot about is the THCustoms U-Boat. Just make sure you get the THCustoms board, as the others I've found online aren't accurate. The less synthy, two knob one is the THC version, the other is the EPK board, which sounds great but isn't accurate to Merlin's design

Edit to add- the U-235 and U-Boat are the loudest (stock) suboctave circuits I've used
Definitely gonna check this one out. I hadn’t heard of it before, though I do dig some of the other THCustoms stuff, so I’m sure it’s a good one

Definitely an interesting one. I always forget BYOC exists. I’ve always wanted to build a Mutron octave divider though, especially since it’s the classic Peter Frampton octave sound. Might have to order one of those at some point, and even if I don’t wind up digging it for bass, it’ll still be fun on guitar.

Definitely gonna check this one out. I hadn’t heard of it before, though I do dig some of the other THCustoms stuff, so I’m sure it’s a good one

I should be home tomorrow, and can probably whip up a shootout between the Octarock, Divided Octave and U-Boat if you'd like

I have an ocelot board in need of some building. I just wish Tayda had a brown powder coat option other than the hammered copper. a transparent rootbeer brown (like the Mad Professor “1” or Simble pedals) would be the shit 🥵

I don't know how I missed this thread, but...

@DGWVI — did you ever do that shootout?
I absolutely totally remembered to do that shootout 😏😒😞

I should be home tomorrow or the next day, so I can do it then.
OctaRock, Divided Octave, U-Boat... Any other sub octaves I should add to the roster? Think the only ones I don't have built currently are the Lectric Downtown, Buzz or Meat Box clones, and the ZorgTaver.

I have an ocelot board in need of some building. I just wish Tayda had a brown powder coat option other than the hammered copper. a transparent rootbeer brown (like the Mad Professor “1” or Simble pedals) would be the shit 🥵
Hammond has a straight brown. Amplified Parts carries it.
LANDTONE on AliExpress has a brown that I'd call "large coffee with one cream".

I should be home tomorrow or the next day, so I can do it then.
OctaRock, Divided Octave, U-Boat... Any other sub octaves I should add to the roster?
Got an ocelot to add to that shootout? Anything else with a good suboctave that you think is worth showing off too, if it’s not too much trouble— the more the merrier

Got an ocelot to add to that shootout? Anything else with a good suboctave that you think is worth showing off too, if it’s not too much trouble— the more the merrier
Yep, have an Ocelot on hand

Off the top of my head, I've also got a U-235, Underminer, and Blue Box w/ mods

Yep, have an Ocelot on hand

Off the top of my head, I've also got a U-235, Underminer, and Blue Box w/ mods
U-235 and blue box are deffo of interest to me! 235 is in my backlog, and I’m a big blue box fan, but mine is stock other than a 2/1 octave switch. Don’t know much about the underminer, but if it’s a fun one feel free to add it to the lineup!

U-235 and blue box are deffo of interest to me! 235 is in my backlog, and I’m a big blue box fan, but mine is stock other than a 2/1 octave switch. Don’t know much about the underminer, but if it’s a fun one feel free to add it to the lineup!

The 235 is fun, and probably the cleanest sub of the bunch. It's still got that synthiness to it, but a totally different character than the Flip-flop based circuits
I've got two currently - a tweaked one, and one built according to the docs, so maybe I'll shoot those two out, and compare them to the Ocelot. Being PLL based, it does react a lot differently than most of the others

The Underminer is a weird one for me. It's PLL which I love, but it's missing something compared to the other subs I've played with. It does do some lovely aggro noise, though

My Blue Box has the 1/2 octave switch, and a MicroAmp sewn to its ass

Back