BC109 availability. BC109c

Allthumbs

Are BC109c by Central Semiconductor the common tranny used for the classic circuits? Thinking about a Colorsound Overdriver.

Maybe folks are finding actual vintage trannies but they may be old and picked through or un-matched, I have read. Certainly a fuzz I built a long time ago using OC76 trannies was that way.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks

I've been using BC549C and BC550C's for BC109 projects. I'm not missing out on anything other than mojo, I hope? All measure between 450-650 hFe.

I have built multiples of pedals like the Lunar Module, some with metal can BC109Cs and some with the plastic BC549C trannies. If the hfes are in the same kind of range then I can't really tell much difference - some say they can but in the pedals I have tried they sounds more or less the same. Differences could be down to parts tolerance in anything. I would be totally happy using BC549C or even 550C in place of BC109Cs.

Of course sometimes it's fun to experiment with lower or higher hfe trannies. In Muff circuits I really like what lower hfe trannies can do. 2N2222As or 2N3904s can sound great!

Back