Bench Power Supply

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive adjustable power supply? I’ve got some low power tubes I want to breadboard, but need the power. Is 30v enough in general? 50v? I have no idea and don’t know much about them. I don’t need the crazy 200v for amplifier type builds. Also it should be relatively small since my workbench is pretty limited on space. That and I need to walk it over to my amp to test out my builds. Thanks!

I would say 30V is plenty, this is the one I use (LINK) You can also get the 5A output version (most likely plenty for anything you'll ever need) for $20 less. It's not super fancy, though it does have a USB interface if you want to control it via computer.

Reactions: fig
I would say 30V is plenty, this is the one I use (LINK) You can also get the 5A output version (most likely plenty for anything you'll ever need) for $20 less. It's not super fancy, though it does have a USB interface if you want to control it via computer.
So, are the $20-30 ones on Amazon just straight garbage for our application? $80 seems pricey to fire up a few tubes once in a while

So, are the $20-30 ones on Amazon just straight garbage for our application? $80 seems pricey to fire up a few tubes once in a while
Got a link the $20-30 ones you're looking at? I'm not familiar with anything in that price range, but that doesn't automatically mean they're garbage.

Those are like the buck converters...some use an LM317. Not hard to build...two adjuster resistors (or a pot)

I'll add one of these little adjustable regulators, and a volt-display (I bought a bag of them) for you as well. In the pic I have 9v IN, 3.3v OUT.

This wouldn't help you get from 120VAC to DC, but we have that covered.

xU4eYIz.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong thing. On Amazon I search for "adjustable voltage regulator"
Depends on your goal. If all you want is occasional adjustable power for occasional tinkering then something like that would fit the bill. A full-on benchtop power supply is nice to have from a reliability and ease-of-use standpoint in my opinion, but definitely not essential for most builders/tinkerers.

Back