Benson Germanium Fuzz

Apparently Benson has applied for a patent for the method of thermal biasing..... :rolleyes:

We'll just slap a peltier cooler on the germaniums, rather than adjust for temperature changes we'll control the temperature.... I see no reason a germanium fuzz shouldn't require 10A to operate. :ROFLMAO:

Apparently Benson has applied for a patent for the method of thermal biasing..... :rolleyes:

We'll just slap a peltier cooler on the germaniums, rather than adjust for temperature changes we'll control the temperature.... I see no reason a germanium fuzz shouldn't require 10A to operate. :ROFLMAO:
The hero we need.

Seems like a bias knob is easier/cheaper. Temperature is not going to fluctuate that much. I do like have the impedance variable versus on/off on the amz orman pickup simulator.
It sounds more like he just put an input control after the pickup simulator, same as the AnalogMan SunFace.

—————

“After the pickup simulator circuit, we have added an “Impedance” control, which simulates rolling down the guitar volume to get that tight sparkly sound…without adjusting your guitar volume….which you can still do and still sounds great.”

—————

Tempted to build an Aion Solaris (which in its current revision seems to have literally every mod the Benson does minus a heating element) just to see how worth it or not all of these changes are.

I mean, at least it’s more interesting than endlessly swapping a bag of 30 germanium transistors on a breadboarded FF, right?

right???

for a smidgeon of hype cool-off, this is not the first fuzz face to attempt to compensate for temperature ... sm fuzz, john hollis rock face come to mind

it probably was easier to figure out a way to keep the transistors warm rather than keeping them cool, if it is changes in the ambient temperature that made them fluctuate.

I wonder what current draw this heater solution with carbon comps has...? Also, are carbon comps really a good choice for this, considering they are drifting and stuff? Just wondering... interesting anyway, but to generate heat you gotta draw current in the first place.

Back