Best board combinations

okstateblues

What are some PCB combos that would be best combined into one pedal? My thought is a dual tube screamer a la visual sounds double trouble, a dual Tommy, a blues breaker into a Mr black bb gun, or a tube screamer into a rat. Just some ideas. I am looking for more underrated combos like that and if it is possible to combine into one enclosure. All help is greatly appreciated. I have definitely went off the deep end...

What are some PCB combos that would be best combined into one pedal? My thought is a dual tube screamer a la visual sounds double trouble, a dual Tommy, a blues breaker into a Mr black bb gun, or a tube screamer into a rat. Just some ideas. I am looking for more underrated combos like that and if it is possible to combine into one enclosure. All help is greatly appreciated. I have definitely went off the deep end...
As soon as my pcb’s arrive, I’m building me a Morning Glory and TS-808 combo ala the Double Barrel. I like the idea of doing combo Boost/OD/Dist pedals. A bit cheaper to build, less real estate and cables on my pedalboard...just my personal opinion though.

BTW if you haven’t done a KOT clone you should. I’ve done 2. One with the original diodes and it sounds sweet with my Strat into my Fender DRRI!! Highly recommend!

Last edited:
I have always been really fond of some kind of tubescreamer into some kind of big muff, it gets super beefy and the infamous TS mid hump does wonders for the bassier muff models (e.g. the Russian ones).

As soon as my pcb’s arrive, I’m building me a Morning Glory and TS-808 combo ala the Double Barrel. I like the idea of doing combo Boost/OD/Dist pedals. A bit cheaper to build, less real estate and cables on my pedalboard...just my personal opinion though.

BTW if you haven’t done a KOT clone you should. I’ve done 2. One with the original diodes and it sounds sweet with my Strat into my Fender DRRI!! Highly recommend!

I am in the process of populating a paragon right now and look forward to the finished product. Yes the double barrel is a good one I forgot about! Tanks for the idea. Is there any secrets to setting these types of projects up? I'm new to pedal building but have been bitten by the big bad after finishing up my first two, a face melter and Tweed man.

I am in the process of populating a paragon right now and look forward to the finished product. Yes the double barrel is a good one I forgot about! Tanks for the idea. Is there any secrets to setting these types of projects up? I'm new to pedal building but have been bitten by the big bad after finishing up my first two, a face melter and Tweed man.
No secret for me, Im just experimenting and having fun with it. Whats nice is that if a build doesn’t meet your expectations or suit your needs, you can always sell it to fund another build. I’ve sold a few, mostly pedals I've made with veroboard. I just recently decided to use pcb’s because its makes for a cleaner, more reliable build imo.

Are you going for heavier fuzz or do they work together to tighten your desired sound?
I usually try to have the Rat set for a bright, lower medium gain tone as an always-on kinda thing and then have the Muff maxed out (tone at around 3o'clock for the heavies and noisies. The Rat adds clarity and a much more aggressive attack.
Lately, though, I've switched to lipstick pickups, and I'm loving the Rat volume and distortion cranked, filter at zero running into the Muff, still with the Sustain set to max, but the tone dialed back to about 1o'clock. The feedback and clanginess is a lot of fun

But, yeah, I go for heavy, scuzzy, noisy fuzz tones

a klon or ts style pedal into a marshall style preamp would be a nice setup for getting different types of gain. i have a flux drive and a distortron and they get used independently or in tandem all the time at gigs depending on how heavy what im playing is.

someone here recently posted a two in one which was a JHS superbolt and a bluesbreaker. i would think thats a nifty combo as well.

Does anybody in this thread have experience with the frost drive (vfe)? It looks like the 808 is out of stock for a bit and I am looking for a t-style drive to run into a rat clone

As mentioned the frost drive looks like a great versatile TS circuit. The glue factory on here is very similar to a TS (I think I remember reading you could even build a stock TS on that board with a few component subs (not positive about that but you can compare the schematics).

The oasis and stockade are also TS type circuits with some extra options.

OD-820 and a Klon or an Abider. A Timmy into a BB preamp or Gauss Drive (very similar). I just built an Abider and was quite impressed. The BB gun is another drive that would stack nicely. The classic Klon and Blues Breaker combo is very nice. Mine got pinched by a "friend". I would bet that Hoof (or some other muff variant) into a SHO would be a killer combo.

Back