Big Muff "47" Ram's Head

almondcity

Just looking at random variants to build

The schematic on kit rae seems weird in that the 2 clipping stages are not symmetric:
1651079003643.png

Doesn't it seem more likely that C6 is 47n and C13 is 470n rather than the values shown? Anyone built one of these?

Reactions: fig
Yeah, nothing in life is absolutely perfect. On the KR site I've seen typos and even a few outright errors (corroborated by info & traces from other sites).

Alas, some of the more egregious known-errors haven't ever been corrected. Always good to cross-check...

cropped_subban-ehlers.gif

Still a good wealth of information on KR's Muff pages, and I'm grateful for it being there as a resource, use it all the time.

Going off the schematic for the Pharaoh from Aion, which is based off the 47 BM, I think it makes sense for input and output caps to be 470n and all the others to be 47n

Going off the schematic for the Pharaoh from Aion, which is based off the 47 BM, I think it makes sense for input and output caps to be 470n and all the others to be 47n

I believe there is a variant of the Triangle that used 50n in that place, so 47n wouldnt be too far away. Of course, those two components would be identical. So I would socket those spots, and swap out between 470n and 47n…

Be careful with the Pharaoh, I think the schematics at the Aion and kit rae sites are wrong. There should be no 47n. Only 470n and 470p.

Granted, I haven't traced one myself, I'm going off of this thread:

I built it that way, and it sounds right:

You know, I’ve been planning to build a 47 soon. I’ll definitely socket and try both, just to compare. Maybe it is correct? Who knows?…

Just curious why you think the values are incorrect? 470n is a pretty large value for a coupling cap in a muff, it would make sense to me that they'd want to tame the bass to some degree at some point in the circuit, and a smaller value coupling cap and blocking cap would be a way to do that pretty effectively.

My recent rabbit hole has been reading the forward voltage ranges for vintage muffs on Kit Rae.

Looking to get some 0.5-0.6 vDC diodes from Small Bear because I’m a psycho.

Just curious why you think the values are incorrect? 470n is a pretty large value for a coupling cap in a muff, it would make sense to me that they'd want to tame the bass to some degree at some point in the circuit, and a smaller value coupling cap and blocking cap would be a way to do that pretty effectively.
I'm just curious. My monkey brain wants symmetry

They've got perfectly good pictures of the pcbs over on the site, you can certainly verify this pretty easily by comparing this to other variations as the parts values changed but the PCB layout did not.

If you read the write up on the Kit Rae site it mentions the “large .47uf coupling and filter caps…”, which leads me to believe further that the 47n was a typo.

Back