Big Muff Man OH YA

Popnfreshbass

I used the op amp style graphics, but the green russian specs for the guts. Also I really like the look of these LED bezels…But I don’t heatshrink my LED leads and it’s dangerously close to touching. Going back to plastic next pedal. Turns out I also didn’t have as many sockets left as I thought so transistors went in bareback 😯

BDC7194D-40E6-4342-AB4B-36755C84F28F.jpeg EEE942DB-005C-4698-9DD3-68C37C98957E.jpeg

I think soldering the transistors in on a pedal like this is a good idea. I've had too many issues with transistors coming loose in the past. And I think you're unlikely to need to swap transistors out in a Big Muff. The only time I want to use transistor sockets is on Ge trannies. They often need plenty of experimentation!

BTW - and this goes for most Muffs - if you want to try a creamier sound you can try lower hfe transistors like a 2N3904 or even a 2N2222A. Still plenty of gain but a juicier, creamier feel/sound. It can be fun to try these little tricks.

The only time I want to use transistor sockets is on Ge trannies. They often need plenty of experimentation!

I’ve moved away from this. All possible scenarios are breadboarded and then those suckers get soldered (quickly and carefully) into the board. I recently flirted with a board design that had 3 Pole Term blocks for transistors but they were too big and I couldn’t get them in black.

BTW - and this goes for most Muffs - if you want to try a creamier sound you can try lower hfe transistors like a 2N3904 or even a 2N2222A. Still plenty of gain but a juicier, creamier feel/sound. It can be fun to try these little tricks.

^^^^
THIS!

My Ram’s Head build has a set of 171 hFE Amperex A115 and I couldn't be happier.

Back