Big Muff recommendations

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey guys,

Finally getting around to building a big muff and it’s variants. Just ordered the pcb and should be here soon. Anyone got any recommendations which one I should build? I’ve been reading in various threads that some gravitate towards the Violet version. Which one is that on the build doc? I tend to like the more trebly circuits rather than the flubby ones. Does this help?

Given my nature I will probably breadboard nearly all of them first 😝to truly see which one I like.

Hey guys,

Finally getting around to building a big muff and it’s variants. Just ordered the pcb and should be here soon. Anyone got any recommendations which one I should build? I’ve been reading in various threads that some gravitate towards the Violet version. Which one is that on the build doc? I tend to like the more trebly circuits rather than the flubby ones. Does this help?

Given my nature I will probably breadboard nearly all of them first 😝to truly see which one I like.

I’m inclined to say the 1973 #3 from Kit Rae’s site. I built the 1973 #5 and that’s no slouch either.

If only to give you more analysis paralysis, Juan Solo’s archive has a giant spreadsheet. Look for the “spreadsheet v2” link on this page: http://80.229.1.38/stompage/muffbuild.html

I put a Black Arts Pharaoh and a Grind Customs UltraStoner inside the same enclosure. I wouldn’t call the Pharaoh “flubby”, but the UltraStoner can be more trebly and cutting.

Between the kitrae site and the Juan solo spreadsheet, you might wear out your breadboard o_O

I built to the Triangle spec (but which triangle? I'm not sure--probably the one from guitarpcb because I used their board). It was many years ago but at the time I went through all the Kit Rae site stuff, and listened to samples, etc. I chose Triangle because it is said to be smoother/tamer, which is what I was going for.

I made green version with the PedalPCB board and can say it’s pretty damn identical to my actual green one from the 90s(which actually had a civil war board in it). Super tasty lows but yet never farts out, & sustain for days. Of the muffs I’ve played by far my fave.

The Stomp '75 variant in the PPCB build docs is a violet ram's head, based on values from the Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head. Of the ones in the build doc it and The Fox - based on the Guild Foxey lady as I understand it - are my favorite. IMHO the Triangle and Green Russian are the most stereotypically "Muff" sounding on the build docs.

It would take a long time to "breadboard nearly all of them".

I'm now well past 50 variants of Muff that I want to try, including some tweakings of mine own...

Back