Black Eye Question

he's almost as much of an electric wizard as Tesla, or whoever made the original he modified. The power comes in at 9v but appears to me to pass through a mosfet and inductor like a car audio amplifier.

That's what I thought - though I figure I need more amps than my T-Rex Fuel tank is going to be happy providing on a single channel...

Its 9V, but I think he said it needs to be at least 500ma. I gotta search back through the threads to be sure.

Sorry I missed this thread the other day, I guess I need to check in here regularly to make sure I don't miss anything else. If you're having trouble finding an answer feel free to tag me.

But per the question yes, I recommend 600mA. 500mA may be enough, but it really depends on how the power supply was designed. I've had two OneSpot-style supplies with the same current rating that behaved very differently under the same load, so not all power supplies are created equally. I do definitely recommend the OneSpot, which which I am unfortunately not affiliated.

And yes, 9-12VDC input for these. SMPS magic and all that jazz.

Dc is waaaaaaaay more dangerous than AC but after 230v... it's like arguing over if ya cook faster at ground zero of a fat man/little boy blast or tzar bomba.. useless factoid for the 1 who keeps asking why it's bad, AC the muscles will go both directions, contract and expand, just faster, DC is 1 way and you lock the diaphragm or heavens great ya the heart, it's game over.

Not worth starting a new thread to ask this, so I’ll just quickly hijack this thread since the op has been answered… can anyone who has built a black eye and happens to have an IR thermometer tell me how hot the tubes run once they’re fully warmed up, as well as how hot the surface of the enclosure gets?
I need to know for… reasons, regarding the temperature stability of certain aesthetic elements of my upcoming build

Not worth starting a new thread to ask this, so I’ll just quickly hijack this thread since the op has been answered… can anyone who has built a black eye and happens to have an IR thermometer tell me how hot the tubes run once they’re fully warmed up, as well as how hot the surface of the enclosure gets?
I need to know for… reasons, regarding the temperature stability of certain aesthetic elements of my upcoming build
Stop trying to make your fried egg pedal happen. It doesn't get hot enough.

I smell a hypercolor enclosure coming.......

I don't have an IR thermometer, but I do have a thermocouple that I can stick to it while it's running and take a measurement.

Back