DEMO Black Eye V2 (Sushi Box FX)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Figured I'd build out the new Black Eye having just finished the Particle Accelerator from @vigilante398.

I have to say again, this new layout is SO MUCH BETTER than the V1. Lots of room on the main board for components and soldering.

The V2 took me two tries to get it working, after my first one didn't work, I suspected a solder bridge somewhere but I was too chicken sh*t to go probing around all that voltage. (I didn't know at the time that Nathen designed the caps to drain within a few minutes of removing power....duh)

But this version was a breeze. Again, great work @vigilante398.

Like the first one, this pedal has way more gain than I know what to do with, so I put in a 12AT7 in V1 and a 12AX7 in V2 (or maybe it was the other way around, I'm not sure). The lower gain preamp tube barely takes the over the top gain down a notch. But what it does do is give me a bit more usable gain range in the first 1/4 turn of the gain knob, which is about where I live on this pedal.

Again, I grabbed one of Nathan's super cool vented enclosures for this. I painted it a rubbed oil bronze color that's really cool. Gave it a couple of topcoats of clear satin so it was more robust for handling during the build. I think it came out really good.

Other than that, I used blue water clear LED's like the Particle Accelerator.

Oh, and one more thing, I tried this direct to the guitar and there is NO OSCILLATION! So kudos to Nathan for addressing that in the new layout.
So if you were holding off getting this because of the squeal, hold off no more. If you're a high gain fan, this is an awesome pedal!

Now I'm waiting for the "Diplomat" EF86 to be available!

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

Short demo going through some knob twisting and also shaping the sound with the Particle Accelerator.
At one point I'm unplugging the guitar from my tuner and compressor and going straight into the Black Eye and aiming the gain, no squeal!

Last edited:
Back