Black Russian Variant - Muffin Fuzz

Ok looking more thoroughly at the schematic it appears that the Green Russian uses a 100uf electrolytic at C14 while the Black Russian uses a 22uf electrolytic. I am guessing this is a power filtering cap? Is there any point to changing this from 100uF?

Also aren't 2N5088 transistors the US versions of BC549Cs? I know the pinout is flipped, I could socket those and try and see if there are any differences sonically.

Still building up my schematic chops, sorry for so many questions.

Ok looking more thoroughly at the schematic it appears that the Green Russian uses a 100uf electrolytic at C14 while the Black Russian uses a 22uf electrolytic. I am guessing this is a power filtering cap? Is there any point to changing this from 100uF?
It is a filtering cap. You could change it (I typically like to use a 100uF and 100nF in parallel), but the 22uF should be fine.

Also aren't 2N5088 transistors the US versions of BC549Cs? I know the pinout is flipped, I could socket those and try and see if there are any differences sonically.
Pretty much. The 2n5088 may run a bit hotter than the BC549C, though, which may have an impact on things. I like to use relatively low hFE transistors in the Russian BMP variants.

Socket them or breadboard to see if they make a difference to you. There’s a very real chance that you won’t appreciate a difference.

It is a filtering cap. You could change it (I typically like to use a 100uF and 100nF in parallel), but the 22uF should be fine.

Pretty much. The 2n5088 may run a bit hotter than the BC549C, though, which may have an impact on things. I like to use relatively low hFE transistors in the Russian BMP variants.

Socket them or breadboard to see if they make a difference to you. There’s a very real chance that you won’t appreciate a difference.

Will do, thank you Benny!

Back