Blue Meanie (Blue Box)

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well, it’s the end of the year, and I wanted to get one final build done for the year before partaking in the New Years Eve festivities, so I finally got this sucker boxed up:

Just occurred to me that this is my first actual build report here— I tend to forget to post, but I wanted to share this one since it’s my first time sharing a UV print. This is a FuzzDog “blue fool” (MXR blue box clone) PCB that I populated and partially boxed up in probably 2015 or 2016, but put aside because I couldn’t figure out how to get the graphics I wanted without hours of hand painting. Well, this year I decide to instead spend dozens of hours creating the graphics I wanted in a vector program instead (the graphics are 100% hand drawn in Inkscape using a frame from the film as a reference next to my monitor. Ironically the first Google result for a blue Meanie is nearly identical to this, so I guess I could have saved a lot of time. Oh well), and after getting the UV printed enclosure in my latest Tayda order, I was good to go. Got it drilled up on Wednesday, and zipped through the offboard wiring tonight to get it finished before welcoming 2022!

It’s a fun pedal for sure. I’ll get a proper demo when I’m not in such a rush. I boxed it up just a moment ago, then plugged it in, played for 10 min, and was off to play board games, so I apologize for the lack of gut shots— I assure you it’s much messier than I typically would normally accept, but I had only a short window of time to work before I had to head up.

The YouTube video of my first play through is taking a while to upload, but I’ll update this post to add the link when I get the chance.

Edit: here’s the video. YouTube is being crap and keeps deleting the video name and description, but anyway it’s an MXR Blue Box with a toggle switch to go between 2 and 1 octaves down, plus an LPB tacked onto the output before the volume pot to bring it up to unity gain and beyond. Gear in the video is my Epi LP traditional pro with Seymour Duncan “Whole Lotta Humbucker” pickups into the Blue Meanie, into my Vox Mini Superbeetle.

Last edited:
Chief Blue Meanie! Absolutely FAB-ulous. Useless fact: The. Dreadful Flying glove was left-handed.

Looks awesome- you'll most-likely be spending dozens of hours looking at your pedal board while you're playing so (in my opinion) it's always worth it to go the extra mile when building and labeling these things. I say f#%* the time you could've saved using google and LED eyes are dope.

Back