Blues Breakers and Glory Holes and Paupers.. oh my!

megatrav

Okay, so I was recently looking into building a blues breaker inspired circuit. I have owned a couple and all have been a little different. I currently have a Nux Morning Star which is suppose to be a JHS Morning Glory and in the past I have owned a Snouse Blackbox v1.

Upon doing some research and looking at the build docs from Aion Cerulean I found that some builders use specs from the Bluesbreaker Mk1 Revision 1 and some use Revision 2 which is brighter and has more gain.

It turns out that the Morning Glory is based on Revision 2.. So, I am wondering if anyone else cares as much as I do to look into such things and has tried using some of the Revision 1 values on a Glory Hole build.

The main differences appear to be R3, R4, and C2.
R3 is shown as 4k7 but the original schematics show 27k, R4 shown as 3k3 original is 33k, and C2 shows 47p and I have seen 10p and 100p for the originals.

I see the Morning Glory has more going on, but I assume that is because of the switch and output buffer.
I think the output buffer is going to be a great thing to have, but I am now definitely going to be putting in some sockets and testing those other values to see if it gives a more mellow tone similar to the Blackbox I had.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has ever looked into this at all. I find it very interesting.

It turns out that the Morning Glory is based on Revision 2.. So, I am wondering if anyone else cares as much as I do to look into such things and has tried using some of the Revision 1 values on a Glory Hole build.
I used Rev1 specs on my basic Bluesbreaker. I picked it based on positive reviews I found online, and haven't tried or compared it to Rev2.

That 2n5457 is part buffer part output boost to correct for the low volume of the original blues breaker.
The MG switch only cuts some of the highs in the loop of the op amp and I have seen it written somewhere that it felt redundant as it already has a tone and presence control.

It wouldn’t be too difficult to breadboard and swap stuff out to see what works for your guitar and amp.

I built the original cerulean V1 without the JHS output boost years ago to the original specs and absolutely love it. I’ll see if I can dig it out.

If your interested in the blues breaker schematic this video from Brian Wampler is great.

Back