Boss GE-7 Changing the frequencies

ntuncer

Hello all,
I have a question about changing the frequency of 6.4K. According to the schematic the other frequencies could be calculated as bandpass EQ but I couldn't understand 6.4k as there is no IC for it. Could you please explain how to achieve to 4K instead of 6.4k with the logic?

1660385958347.png

I’m pretty sure R10 isn’t involved, I think it is the CLR for the indicator LED.

When a filter is in this configuration of wiper to cap to resistor, what sort of filter is it, and how is the frequency determined?

isn't it still a high pass, since the pot is acting as a voltage divider, not a rheostat? assuming the usual filter formula, the cutoff is around 4.2k?

Last edited:
i think it's an issue of the corner of the stop band vs pass band. since 4.2k is the -3db, there's a ways to go until you reach the frequencies that aren't cut off at all. cut off is around 70% or so. so that being the case, 4200/.7 is about 6k. considering the pretty large gaps between notes in that range(200-300hz) , i'm assuming that being ultra accurate isn't that big of an issue. then again, not an engineer, so i may be way off base.

I just checked against the highest band on the MXR 10-band, which is labeled 16k. It uses the exact same type of filter but with different values. And the values they used come out to a cutoff frequency of 15.3K. A lot closer to the labeled 16K than the 4.13K and 6.4K of the Boss. So I kinda think Boss just lied about the 6.4K and hoped no one would notice.

Ok, the values for the highest band on the MXR 6-band work out to just south of 2K, but they labeled it 3.2K. And 2K is pretty close to 70% of 3.2K. Do with that info what you will.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers, it is more clear now but I still couldn't understand how to calculate the target frequency to do some modifications on it. By the way on the schematic of GE-7B for bass guitars, the last band represents to 4k. That means, if I use the same values, can I also reach 4k on GE-7?

GE-7B schematic:
1661686907433.png

See, now it gets more confusing to me. Because the GE-7 values are labeled 6.4K, but actually yield a cutoff frequency around 4K. The GE-7B values (which are different values than the GE-7) are labeled 4K, and yield a slightly different cutoff frequency which is also right around 4K. I’m still wondering how much of this is actual well-thought-out engineering, and how much is “eh, close enough”.

Back