Breadboarding a Klon

caiofilipini

For some reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to breadboard a Klon.

I'm taking it easy, but the first milestone was hit today, the power supply:

PXL_20211021_214118715.jpg

There's some cleaning up to be done, and I'm sure the layout will change as I go along, but I get all 4 reference voltages out of it, so success for now!

Well, I was planning on reporting progress as I worked through it, but I had a work trip last week and a lot of other things going on, so I didn't.

BUT, the good news is I finished it, and even though it looks a lot messier than I wanted it to, it works! The main reason I wanted to do this is because I have a KTR here currently and I wanted to try and get the breadboard to sound as close as possible to it. After I verified the circuit worked as expected, I started auditioning diodes, and here's the current status:

PXL_20211029_145243637.jpg

I currently have a pair of ERIE 1N34A diodes in there I got from Pedal Hacker, and they sound surprisingly close! Vf on those as measured with my DDM is 0.358V and 0.363V.

I have some other diodes I want to audition before committing, but so far I'm super happy with this pair. It sounds much better than the first Kliche I built using a random pair of Russian diodes without even measuring them! 😂

Well, I was planning on reporting progress as I worked through it, but I had a work trip last week and a lot of other things going on, so I didn't.

BUT, the good news is I finished it, and even though it looks a lot messier than I wanted it to, it works! The main reason I wanted to do this is because I have a KTR here currently and I wanted to try and get the breadboard to sound as close as possible to it. After I verified the circuit worked as expected, I started auditioning diodes, and here's the current status:

View attachment 17759

I currently have a pair of ERIE 1N34A diodes in there I got from Pedal Hacker, and they sound surprisingly close! Vf on those as measured with my DDM is 0.358V and 0.363V.

I have some other diodes I want to audition before committing, but so far I'm super happy with this pair. It sounds much better than the first Kliche I built using a random pair of Russian diodes without even measuring them! 😂

I ended up using a similar set of 1N34A in my Kliche Mini.

Here's the final product:

Reactions: fig
Back