Brother P-Touch Tutorial

Great post. Trying to warp my head around the options for simple labeling and see Brother P-Touch mentioned often. Thanks for the practical guide on how to use it and the software which I didn't know existed.

Couple of questions. How thick are the edges on the P-Touch stickers and does it stand out that it's a stick on label? And is there some method that can be used to reduce the edges? Maybe some sort of solvent that melts the edges or clear coating the whole pedal??

The tape is visible, but only if you go out of your way to notice. Especially following the steps above and cutting right on the printed word. In a dark bar or venue you wouldn't see it. ?

Clear coating over it would probably negate the use of the P-Touch. I've never tried it though. I'd imagine you might need to scuff up the stickers first so the clear coat would evenly adhere...You may as well use waterslide decal if you're going to clear coat as that would likely be a lot easier.

The tape is visible, but only if you go out of your way to notice. Especially following the steps above and cutting right on the printed word. In a dark bar or venue you wouldn't see it. ?

Clear coating over it would probably negate the use of the P-Touch. I've never tried it though. I'd imagine you might need to scuff up the stickers first so the clear coat would evenly adhere...You may as well use waterslide decal if you're going to clear coat as that would likely be a lot easier.
YeAh I tried to clear coat over some labels and it somehow made the corners more obvious than they were to start with...

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at the P-Touch for ease of use seeing that all I want to do is pedal name and label knobs, maybe a small graphic. I was looking at waterslide decals but am worried about wasted waterslide sheets given that I want to customise fonts for each pedal. So maybe if I go with waterslides I'll have to plan ahead to optimise the space on waterslide sheets. I've got close to 50 pedals I want label.

Finally got my PT-D600 going. Had no end of trouble getting the driver to install on Win7-64 because the installer would generate obscure error messages and then report (incorrectly) that the driver had been installed. Online chat with Brother was a complete waste of time. I eventually figured out that I could bypass the "installer" (a self-extracting exe) and unpack it myself using 7zip. After unpacking, I found a setup program in the 3264 folder that actually works.

To make a long story even longer, I had first-pass success with a set of labels for my Boost pedal. It's a cross between a Catalinbread Naga Viper and a Lovepedal Clock of Tone. Kind of a LoveBread ViperTone. Thanks for steering me to the PT-D600, Jovi!

labels 02.jpg

Finally got my PT-D600 going. Had no end of trouble getting the driver to install on Win7-64 because the installer would generate obscure error messages and then report (incorrectly) that the driver had been installed. Online chat with Brother was a complete waste of time. I eventually figured out that I could bypass the "installer" (a self-extracting exe) and unpack it myself using 7zip. After unpacking, I found a setup program in the 3264 folder that actually works.

To make a long story even longer, I had first-pass success with a set of labels for my Boost pedal. It's a cross between a Catalinbread Naga Viper and a Lovepedal Clock of Tone. Kind of a LoveBread ViperTone. Thanks for steering me to the PT-D600, Jovi!

View attachment 2367
Just got mine today looking forward to trying it out myself. Looks great Chuck D!

Thanks! I hope you have better luck than I did getting the SW installed. I'm still looking for colors on clear tape other than black & white.

View attachment 2367
Nice

Got a link? I found colored tape, but not clear tape with colored print. I have limited patience for wading thru Amazon pages.

There is a website called ptouchdirect and they have most colors on clear all the way up to 1 inch (24mm) in knock off brands but they are a bit pricier than off Amazon.

Haven't had much luck with anything in the 18mm other than black and white but 9mm and 12mm I've had some luck with

View attachment 2367

Looks awesome CDB !

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Once I've spent a little more time with it and am satisfied with the sound, I'll share the insides too on the Build Reports forum.

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but with this printer how exactly do you split up graphics onto multiple labels? I know I will have to print large graphics on 2+ labels, but using the p-touch editor software I am able to print one half of the label fine, but how do you guys line up the other half to make sure that the two match up evenly?

Back