Build documentation updates

hamerfan

I am not sure whether this is issue. I am on the update list for build documentations since August but I never received an update.
I am waiting on the docs for Hen's Teeth and TSV 808.

Question for PedalPCB: Why cant you simply include the drilling template page on the build documents while you are waiting to complete the build documentation? Sometimes it takes months before the build documentation is there just to get a drill layout. You shouldn't sell boards we cant finish without the drill templates or build documentation. Most common ones people can find, but the odd layout boards require the drill template.
All the drill templates are identical. Take a little time to find another PCB with the same layout. Sure it takes a little more time, but you don’t have to wait on someone to make one.

Reactions: Nic
Get the enclosure drill template and you don't even think about it for 95% of the builds. The other 5% are typically taken care of quick smart on request (if needed).

I have no problem with @Robert's business model or practices. For a one man shop, he cranks out a TON of new projects, traces a ton of pedals, responds to our wishlist faster, and gets them in our hot little hands faster than anyone I know in the business. There's nothing released that a little ingenuity and self determination can't figure out. (This is "DIY" after all). There are other vendors that have lengthy build docs and all the hand holding you need if that's what suits you better.

Great thing about this hobby is all the options we have with many vendors putting out fantastic projects. If the lack of timely drill templates frustrates you, buy a drill template jig, (you don't even need to get the PPCB version, there's lots of them out there). Or, buy your boards from Aion or MPB. Lots of great projects with very complete build docs and templates.

"You shouldn't sell boards we cant finish without the drill templates or build documentation."

I would not be so arrogant as to tell someone else how to run their business, but my vote is to "sell away, get em out as soon as you get em in".

I have yet to come across a board that I could not build for lack of build docs or templates. And I'm pretty much still a noob.
(Only been building since March). Or, just avoid the new projects, most of the projects in the catalog have established build docs, and/or drill templates.

If this makes me sound like a PedalPCB fanboi....well I guess I am....:)

You shouldn't sell boards we cant finish without the drill templates or build documentation.
You have the option to A) purchase nearly all of ppcb pedals with an already drilled & painted enclosure, assembled and ready to play.

Or you could B) use a scale, measure the board, and make a drill template.

Ppcb gives us choices. Most guitar players choose A).
I like B).

You shouldn't sell boards we cant finish without the drill templates or build documentation.

I apologize for that, but I've mentioned before, if you don't feel comfortable building a board before the documentation is released you do have the option of waiting for the documentation to be posted before ordering the board. There's no rush, they'll still be here.

Honestly for me a BOM is more useful than the full build notes at this point for several reasons.

1) Unlike most PCB manufacturers, Robert puts the actual values right on the silkscreen, so you don't need the build documentation (with rare exceptions where there are multiple builds possible) to translate R1, R2, D1, etc. It's obvious where everything should go.

2) Having a BOM means I don't have to pull out the bag of resistors or capacitors a second time because I counted 6 rather than 7 components...

3) Drill templates (much like AionFX and a few other manufacturers) are standardized - so if you find one with the same knob layout, it should go... Heck, there is a whole CATEGORY of PedalPCB enclosures on Tayda. That being said, I end up validating and adjusting layouts as often as not (see my Whipped Cream build) to suit where I want to go with the pedal enclosure-wise.

Honestly for me a BOM is more useful than the full build notes at this point for several reasons.

1) Unlike most PCB manufacturers, Robert puts the actual values right on the silkscreen, so you don't need the build documentation (with rare exceptions where there are multiple builds possible) to translate R1, R2, D1, etc. It's obvious where everything should go.

2) Having a BOM means I don't have to pull out the bag of resistors or capacitors a second time because I counted 6 rather than 7 components...

3) Drill templates (much like AionFX and a few other manufacturers) are standardized - so if you find one with the same knob layout, it should go... Heck, there is a whole CATEGORY of PedalPCB enclosures on Tayda. That being said, I end up validating and adjusting layouts as often as not (see my Whipped Cream build) to suit where I want to go with the pedal enclosure-wise.
I feel the same. Without a BOM, populating the Duo-Phase would've been much more of a repetitive chore than it already is. But it is there! I only really need it for large boards.

The current build docs are great because they describe the component parameters, like resistor wattage, capacitor voltage and size requirements, etc. along with substitutions.

We're incredibly spoiled :)

Back