building a big "dummy box" SCHMORG

I liked how you did the LED's with the trimmer on a piece of perf. Can you give us the rundown on those?

Hey, maybe you'll find your phone inside! I've enjoyed both yours and Big Monk's processes. Each a unique direction.

Nothing like a nap though. Unless you're on a gig I suppose. Not so bad if it's the drummer maybe...:sleep:
Ah, I hadn't seen Big Monk's board until you mentioned it so I went over and checked it out- very cool!

Next level, man. Really impressive.
Thanks a lot!

I liked how you did the LED's with the trimmer on a piece of perf. Can you give us the rundown on those?
Sure thing- I plan to have this thing fully assembled, photographed, shared, and played very loudly by the end of this weekend, if not sooner and I'll be sure to address the LED's.
(but who knows what will really happen- I said the same thing^ about last weekend.)

Reactions: fig
Here's my current collection of completed circuits in the modular format:
NexROdg.jpg

Alright- all the box needs now are some rubber feet for the bottom plate which will arrive shortly in the mail, and an emblem or two for the outside. Here's the rack all ready for final assembly:
vMmmpda.jpg

Up-side-down:
OnsYsrV.jpg

I'll call this build style a "SCHMORG." My favorite pedal board before this modular goose-chase was called "smorgasbord," and my last-name starts with "Sch," so, tweak the spelling and hack off the end: you get "SCHMORG." Here's the "smorgasbord" for those who haven't seen:
xgc52Izm.jpg
WGPNpcsm.jpg

Coming very soon, what I call "sleds."

Last edited:
So this is a sled:
6S88ZLa.jpg

They're as tall as a 125B bottom plate and they fit in the racks like so:
Pf402t9m.jpg
v4ooGj9m.jpg

I'll design a new sled for each new format, like this 1590BB sled:
xQP4yHh.jpg

JqBfHFw.jpg

I'm actually printing out another 1590BB sled right now because I think I'm going to change things up just a bit, but this picture will give you the idea:
sb53zza.jpg

They're either secured to the box with thumb-tacks on top and bottom, or if their sled if too thick on top like the 1590BB and the one in the top left, they can still have a thumb-tack in the foot and then fasten to its' neighbor with a little screw.

Nice SCHMORG!

Hold it! What is this?
'
View attachment 17126
That's a PPCB pick in my spring-loaded pick-holder!
It's actually a bit out of spec' to be used in this build because the cavities for the sleds are slightly deeper than in the prototype. All I have to do is measure how much it falls short, then alter the design and print another one out- I'll take more pictures of the inner workings when I do that.
Very observant, Fig!

Sleds & screws:
rjrk6HM.jpg

OSivQZ8.jpg

Signal chain:
rfGAsSc.jpg

Daisy chain that connects all the grounds together:
psiVFMC.jpg

Then the power:
rmfle3V.jpg

It's pretty messy in there right now- next time I rebuild it, I'll roll-up the excess lengths of wire and maybe fasten them to the walls with little screw-in eyelets and twist-ties or something.

The bottom is screwed on and it works!
..now to fill those empty slots.

Awersum!

While the board has shielding, I'm wondering if there will be any interference between circuits.
I hope not, 'cause the amount of weight saved by having just the lids instead of whole enclosures must be substantial.

Makes me want to standardise on 1590N1 and 1590BB sizing, and I've got a few pedals that are 1590XX — workable since the 1590XX lid-height is basically the same as the N1 (121.2mm & 121mm respectively vs the BB's 119.5mm) and just make up the difference with the 3D-printed sleds.

Reactions: fig
Awersum!

While the board has shielding, I'm wondering if there will be any interference between circuits.
I hope not, 'cause the amount of weight saved by having just the lids instead of whole enclosures must be substantial.
I've worried about that too. I haven't had any issues yet but I also haven't tried any effects with transformers or BBD's.

That wavelord came out great. I’d love to see the polytune rehouse! (I’m guessing this means the volume pedal with the built in tuner is out now)

Like many before me, WHAT ROCK HAVE I BEEN UNDER TO MISS THIS GLORIOUS DESIGN-GASM!? That is all sorts of amazing! And as called out before, your etchings are top notch. 🍻

Thanks!
I'm glad you like the design- so far it's been worth the extra PITA to switch formats.

Next up: INTERNAL PARALLEL LOOPS!

Yep, I missed this threat also... let me get my baring back, I'm still slightly shocked at reading this amazing build report....

This is just insane quality work...

Back