Calamity Fuzz- No sound, LED on

Hi y'all, new builder, tackling my first builds without a kit, trying to finish up my Calamity Fuzz. Rookie so I'm still learning stuff, but have a DMM to test. Appreciate all the info and feedback here, still pouring through old posts so apologies if this is a common problem.

Wired up my Calamity for the first time today, troubleshooting stuff, light on and all first time but no sound. Doesn't seem like a short, in and out of enclosure same problem. Checked against build docs, resistors and caps all seem to check out. Wonder if i'm doing something dumb with the 3PDT. Plan on cleaning the flux up, just don't have a toothbrush... that I'm willing to sacrifice.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
Some general advice for your next build. Color code your wiring. It makes troubleshooting much easier. For example, I use black for ground, red for power, yellow for input, etc. Whichever color works best for you.

Second, it looks like you've got a lot of extra wire than needed. It will not look the nearest when you box it up. All the extra wire may affect your signal too (rf if I'm not mistaken).

That being said, if let is on but no sound then check the offboard wiring. Is the 3pdt switch wired up like the build doc? Are you plugged into the input jack and not the output? Don't laugh, I've done it.

Also check to make sure your pots are wired correctly. The square hole should be pin 1. If you're looking at the knob and the lugs are pointed down then it will be the one on the left. Hope this helps.

for your wiring for this build, since you used white wire, you can use markers to put some color on the wires to make them easier to sort out.

Yes, there is sound when bypassed.

To the others above- I did mark wires as I was soldering. The ink rubbed off as I've been troubleshooting
Who did the J201 soldering & Can you confirm the TL072 is from a reliable source, There's no Identification on it?
Put same coloured ink on each individual wire ends.
You may have grounding/ Noise issue using Plastic insulated Jacks!

Lay your pots directly above PCB pot pads with all the wires untwisted & paralel.
Try & do the same with Input and Output Jacks & put up new Photo's.

J201s are presoldered to board from PedalPCB, I soldered legs. Logo is on bottom, can't see that when they're mounted. 2n3904 is from SmallBear, TL072 as well. Swapped the IC already, but not the 2n3904. Going to rewire this whole thing once it's working, but first want to make sure it fires up. Not able to take a pic just yet, but will upload one w/ straightened wires ASAP.

Back