DEMO Captain Bit and the OctaRock'r

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Got these boxed up today. Similar in what they do, they go about them in different ways. I wouldn't say either is better than the other, but together they're awesome. Obviously, the Bit is the filthier of the two, but I honestly love em both.

The Captain Bit is more suited for fuzz heads and those looking for more broken retro kinda tones.
I kept this one mostly stock, except for the diodes tied to the Transformer- I used 1N5817s, because I have a huge batch that consistently measures 0.217 vf, which lends itself excellently to analog octave ups. R2 and C7 have been upped to 33k and 33n, respectively to rein in the tracking a bit for the 4024
The OctaRock is cleaner, primarily in it's lower Octave function, but even it's Upper octave has a sheen to it that the Bit doesn't. This one has a couple minor mods- I used 5817s again, but I also added a 1n cap across the clipping diodes at the input of the octave up stage to filter out even more high end before the signal hits the rectifiers. I also reduced R46 from 100k to 68k to give the Lower Octave a bit more volume to work with against the other two voices. I could see using this one to emulate a cleanish kinda bass tone in a pinch

Both are charmingly lo-fi in their timbres, and each tracks pretty well for analog, regardless of pickup position

PXL_20230214_212238908.jpg b112ff7f-d4a8-47a0-9155-67a830babbb2photo.jpeg

Captain Bit, and the OctaRock used in the Demo are on the left
PXL_20230215_004106156.jpg

For the Demo, I kinda just plugged in and went. I think it's pretty noticable when I switch from neck to bridge, but the tracking stays decent throughout

Nice batch!

I've been enjoying the upper octave on the octorock a ton. However, I did some a/b with my ocelot at a rehearsal on Sunday and I'm back on team ocelot again when it comes to 1 octave down. I still think the octorock sub is more dynamic but it's hard to contend with the ocelot for that synth bass octave sound.

So now I think I'm going to have to build another ocelot and house it with the octuplet..... Best of both worlds or something. I aspire to one day be satisfied with my octave section/collection.

Nice batch!

I've been enjoying the upper octave on the octorock a ton. However, I did some a/b with my ocelot at a rehearsal on Sunday and I'm back on team ocelot again when it comes to 1 octave down. I still think the octorock sub is more dynamic but it's hard to contend with the ocelot for that synth bass octave sound.

So now I think I'm going to have to build another ocelot and house it with the octuplet..... Best of both worlds or something. I aspire to one day be satisfied with my octave section/collection.
The Ocelot is topologically almost identical to the -1 in the Octarock. You could mod it to those specs, just a few component value swaps

I prefer the OctaRock, though. More dynamic, as you say, and I feel it does have a bit more of an aggressive presence, even when not in Mod boost mode

How many components between the two are we talking here?

A 4PDT stomper's worth, or do I need a 6PDT (of which I've only seen toggle versions, not stomper types)... 😜

I'll have a butcher's at the schematics, thanks for the heads up.

Back