Carbon Black (EQD Black Ash)

caiofilipini

Had some free time last light and finally put this one together. Decided to go with carbon comp just because that's the original uses.
Minimalist black on black look, no artwork, black wires to go with it. I actually think it looks pretty cool this way!
Sounds really good, and it's surprisingly versatile on my rig. Here it is:

PXL_20211001_031938539.jpg

PXL_20211001_024527025.jpg

PXL_20210930_215648027.jpg

Do you have a 3-knob tonebender to compare it to? I am curious about this pedal, but since it's based on the 3knob TB, I'm wondering if would be redundant.

Do you have a 3-knob tonebender to compare it to? I am curious about this pedal, but since it's based on the 3knob TB, I'm wondering if would be redundant.
I have a MKIV Tone Bender. They're quite different. The MKIV is quite fuzzy, but it's closer to a distortion than an old Tone Bender.

I believe the Black Ash is much closer to an MKII Tone Bender with an added Top control at the output stage. The resistor values are different from a stock MKII, I believe to accommodate the different bias requirements of the 2N3903 transistors compared to germanium.

I believe the Black Ash is much closer to an MKII Tone Bender with an added Top control at the output stage. The resistor values are different from a stock MKII, I believe to accommodate the different bias requirements of the 2N3903 transistors compared to germanium.
Definitely. Not entirely sure why the marketing indicated that it was based on the MKIII. It's definitely a Si TB MKII with a low-pass RC filter at the output.

I think that the Si circuit captures the rasp of a Ge Tonebender MKII, but there's a lot of subjectivity there.

I think I have one of these PCBs on the way from pcbguitarmania. They had delays sending another PCB and offered to throw it in free. I just hope they remembered to since I had a Tayda UV print done for it.

Back