Carbon film resistor for signal chain look ok?

Raspymcnasty

Hello,

I'm a newbie and knew nothing about schematics (still dont) but I'm trying to decipher if I have the carbon film resistors in the right place for the signal chain.

I'm using metal film resistors for only the power ones for low noise and carbon film for the signal.

Could someone please let me know if this looks right?
Paragon Mini - Carbon.JPG Paragon Mini.JPG

Someone posted a photo/diagram of the carbon comps used in KoT. It only uses them in the top right 3 resistors for each channel -- R6, R10, R9 & R23, R27, R25.

Rest may be overkill or imperceivable. At least that's what I did on my build.

Someone posted a photo/diagram of the carbon comps used in KoT. It only uses them in the top right 3 resistors for each channel -- R6, R10, R9 & R23, R27, R25.

Rest may be overkill or imperceivable. At least that's what I did on my build.
Ok, thank you. I am curious though, regarding my logic of choosing those ones I chose.

Are all resistors I chose on the schematic correct in that its all part of the signal chain?

Pardon my ignorance in this area, but what's the idea behind low noise power section and "noisier" signal path?

Pardon my ignorance in this area, but what's the idea behind low noise power section and "noisier" signal path?
From my extremely limited and unsourced understanding, carbon film resistors connected to the power circuit make the pedal more noisy due to lower tolerance and build. However, there seems to be some kind of warmth carbon film resistors bring if in signal path (honestly sounds like snake oil to me but that’s why I’m trying it out)

anyone with more experience please feel free to correct me, i am literally a week into this hobby and didn’t even know what a schematic was prior to this week

I wouldn’t worry about carbon versus metal film for different sections of the circuit. Some people use all carbon, some use all metal film and some just use what ever they have in their parts bin (as long as the value is correct).

From my extremely limited and unsourced understanding, carbon film resistors connected to the power circuit make the pedal more noisy due to lower tolerance and build. However, there seems to be some kind of warmth carbon film resistors bring if in signal path (honestly sounds like snake oil to me but that’s why I’m trying it out)
For pedal building, it’s snake oil (not to mention carbon comps usually have a wider 5% tolerance so either you spend extra time/money measuring and sorting to get closer to the proper values, or just always bear in mind the possible gap between your build and an “ideal” build will be further apart than had you used 1% metal films in the first place) but no better way of learning it than trying it!

Carbon resistors - mainly if a vintage look is needed
Further proof that carbon comp is snake oil as far as pedals are concerned - you can buy "vintage" looking fake-carbon-comps, that are actually just fake shell casings around 1/8w metal films.

That's ridiculous! They're 5% tolerance!

We should pool our resources and have batches of 1% Metal Film 1/4w resistors made up with flat-beige paint instead of the blue, to fake the carbon resistors, and have another buncha batches of 1% Metal Film 1/4w (or even 2w for Amp Builds) of the brown little turd-stylings...

I'm all for achieving the look, but 1/8w at 5%? C'Monnnn...

I wonder how much it cost to tool up to do that...

That's ridiculous! They're 5% tolerance!

We should pool our resources and have batches of 1% Metal Film 1/4w resistors made up with flat-beige paint instead of the blue, to fake the carbon resistors, and have another buncha batches of 1% Metal Film 1/4w (or even 2w for Amp Builds) of the brown little turd-stylings...

I'm all for achieving the look, but 1/8w at 5%? C'Monnnn...

I wonder how much it cost to tool up to do that...
Nope they’re 0.5% tolerance

In the same idea, I’ve thought about faking LM308 with recased OP07 for Rats, wondering how much it’d cost to do that, and if it already exists :)

In the same idea, I’ve thought about faking LM308 with recased OP07 for Rats, wondering how much it’d cost to do that, and if it already exists :)
That’s what most “LM308”s you find on eBay or AliExpress are, sadly.

That’s what most “LM308”s you find on eBay or AliExpress are, sadly.
Yeah, I thought so. I keep buying LM308 from good dealers, but when I compared one to an OP07 some years ago, I found almost no difference in tone. But real LM308 are harder and harder to find.

Because it's"hipster cool". Lol! Mike at AM weaves a lot of snake oil into his pitch. I'm not doubting his knowledge and some of his pedals sound wonderful but some of the stuff he spouts off is questionable. Whether he actually believes it or it's a tactic he uses to throw people off, who knows. To each his own.

Yeah, I'm a bit of an a$$hole... Lol

I stand corrected! Missed the "0." ... That 0.5% seems a lot more Görva...

I've thought it'd be cool to have a 8-pin dip metal shell for stuffing any IC into, basically taking something like the plastic LM308 and making it look like the LM308H. 😸

Blue resistors look good on black PCBs.
Beige resistors look good on green PCBs.

Red resistors with red electrolytics and red Wima on a red PCB with all red wiring in a red enclosure is really rad, erh red.

Back