Changes for PACIFIER PCB

P51994

Hello all,
I have a previous PACIFIER version where the IC values are indicated on the board.
I noticed that one IC is not the same in the build document now. LM1458 (written on my pcb) is replaced by KA4558.
Is it important or the two ics are equivalent ?
Thanks !!
Pierre

The opamp isn't critical, either one will work fine...

Can you post a pic of your PCB? The first PCB revision was based on the schematic floating around the net. It worked, but is missing a resistor that is in the original pedal.

Tayda has W100k pots now...I think I used B100k as a sub and forgot to bother ordering the W taper pots haha. When I get home from work I’ll try and sort out a demo.

Usually have the punk knob hovering under 3/4 of the way...the fuzz is pretty mid scooped and can be (duh) hard to hear. Would like to sort out a mod to remedy that, shouldn’t be difficult.

I saw W100K with 6mm knurled shaft at Tayda. I prefer a 1/4" round shaft, but could accommodate knurled with the right knob or an adapter.

I was looking at the transistor "Punk" section of the fuzz and it looks like very little bass & mids get thru. The bottom end of the PUNK dial outta let most everything thru, at least from 0 to 6 on the SLAM dial. The Punk section could be fattened up by increasing C3, C5 or C7 (or some combination) to something in the range of 47nF to 100nF. C3 probably has the most effect. Maybe increasing R3 to 10K would help too, if it gets too muddy when C3 is increased. Will definitely require some experimentation to dial it in. Another option would be to retune the SPIKES control so that the boost end of the dial reaches down into the midrange. Try 6.8nF or 10nF for C16.

Another interesing mod might be to install a stompswitch in series with one end of the PUNK pot. Then you could switch from a mix to all Punk or from mix to all Slam, depending on which end of the PUNK knob get the switch. And of course fooling around with the diodes is always fun.

I saw W100K with 6mm knurled shaft at Tayda. I prefer a 1/4" round shaft, but could accommodate knurled with the right knob or an adapter.

I was looking at the transistor "Punk" section of the fuzz and it looks like very little bass & mids get thru. The bottom end of the PUNK dial outta let most everything thru, at least from 0 to 6 on the SLAM dial. The Punk section could be fattened up by increasing C3, C5 or C7 (or some combination) to something in the range of 47nF to 100nF. C3 probably has the most effect. Maybe increasing R3 to 10K would help too, if it gets too muddy when C3 is increased. Will definitely require some experimentation to dial it in. Another option would be to retune the SPIKES control so that the boost end of the dial reaches down into the midrange. Try 6.8nF or 10nF for C16.

Another interesing mod might be to install a stompswitch in series with one end of the PUNK pot. Then you could switch from a mix to all Punk or from mix to all Slam, depending on which end of the PUNK knob get the switch. And of course fooling around with the diodes is always fun.
Hey Chuck! What would you mind sharing the wiring for a stompswitch in series? I've only done something like this with a momentary switch by bridging 2 lugs with it. I definitely love the idea of a stomp to crank the fuzz to 100% or maybe even a preset percentage based on what you set with a trimmer?

Do you also think it would be possible to add a gain or volume control for the fuzz? Since apparently there's can be a bit of volume drop when setting it to 100% fuzz. Maybe even add a recovery stage after the fuzz ONLY if it's set to 100% fuzz or even attach it to the aforementioned stomp switch somehow?

We can also totally lower the 22M resistors too right? 2.2M should work right. Trying to also reduce weird parts in this if I can. I love weird blend pedals like this or the Red Witch Famulus

Last edited:
Hey Chuck! What would you mind sharing the wiring for a stompswitch in series? I've only done something like this with a momentary switch by bridging 2 lugs with it. I definitely love the idea of a stomp to crank the fuzz to 100% or maybe even a preset percentage based on what you set with a trimmer?

Do you also think it would be possible to add a gain or volume control for the fuzz? Since apparently there's can be a bit of volume drop when setting it to 100% fuzz. Maybe even add a recovery stage after the fuzz ONLY if it's set to 100% fuzz or even attach it to the aforementioned stomp switch somehow?

We can also totally lower the 22M resistors too right? 2.2M should work right. Trying to also reduce weird parts in this if I can. I love weird blend pedals like this or the Red Witch Famulus
I was just tossing out ideas. No idea how well they would work.

Back