CheeseMonger Fuzz

Very nice! That box looks like it glows in the dark. Which switch settings do you like? Is that really based on a JHS pedal? It looks too original for something from them. Who knows what Q3 does?

Very nice! That box looks like it glows in the dark. Which switch settings do you like? Is that really based on a JHS pedal? It looks too original for something from them. Who knows what Q3 does?
I like the last one... the gated fuzz setting...
It’s based on a Lovetone pedal...
JHS just cloned the Lovetone big cheese pedal...
not sure about q3:..

Not 100% on its specific function but it’s the one you can kinda starve with the trimmer for the gated fuzz tones in “cheese” mode

I just finished this build and it sounds great! The one question I have is exactly what the trim pot is meant to control. Is it biasing or saturation or something entirely different?

That's right. I had to run a sim to see everything it did. In Cheese mode, FUZZ becomes a gain and a bias control. As FUZZ is turned CW, the gain goes up, but also Q1 moves toward cutoff and Q2 toward saturation. The trimmer sets how far you have to turn FUZZ before Q1 cuts off and Q2 saturates. Since the point at which saturation/cutoff happens depends on the Vbe and hFE of Q1, the trimmer lets us compensate for variations in the parts.

That's right. I had to run a sim to see everything it did. In Cheese mode, FUZZ becomes a gain and a bias control. As FUZZ is turned CW, the gain goes up, but also Q1 moves toward cutoff and Q2 toward saturation. The trimmer sets how far you have to turn FUZZ before Q1 cuts off and Q2 saturates. Since the point at which saturation/cutoff happens depends on the Vbe and hFE of Q1, the trimmer lets us compensate for variations in the parts.

Firing up the Wayback Machine here. Is full on Cheese mode position #4? And is there anything I should look for in particular when setting the trimmer?

Yes, position 4 is "Cheese Mode."
Set the MODE selector to position 4. Turn FUZZ all the way up. Play with the trimmer and find the tone you like. Then back off of FUZZ a bit and see if you're still satisfied with the tone. Re-adjust as req'd. The idea is to find the best combination of FUZZ & trimmer. The trimmer has the most effect when FUZZ is dimed and has no effect when FUZZ is at zero.

Back