Clandestine Preamp (Chase Secret Preamp)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Behold the “Andre Agassi” edition of the Clandestine Preamp (named thus as the color scheme here reminded me of the Nike Agassi shoes of the early 90’s).

People often speak of their “always on pedal”
(often referring to whatever their “transparent” overdrive de jour is), but liking the clean sound of my amps so much, I’ve never had one. Until now.

@MichaelW referred to this pedal as a “tone conditioner” and I couldn’t agree more. Whether you put it before your dirt or at the end of your chain, this thing adds secret sauce and warmth in special and indeed clandestine ways. The toggle settings are great, with the bright setting adding a bit of jangle and the dark setting giving my Strat more of a vintage sound; but being “clandestine”, nothing it adds is over the top.

Like @MichaelW and @caiofilipini, I used orange drops (couldn’t find a 10nf, so went with what I had) and a silver mica. I built one a month ago with the usual film and ceramic capacitors and passed it on to a friend who was in love with it, and I “swear” this one sounds a smidge better ;).

I simply can’t resist Love My Switches’ monthly powder drops, and this neon yellow enclosure is their dopest one to date (IMHO). The light blue knob, black bezel, and blue LED complete that early 90’s color scheme.

This pedal will never leave my board. With a low parts count and it being an easy, quick build, you owe it to yourself to add this phenomenal “tone conditioner” to your board. Treat yourself. You deserve it.

64B4FE2A-103E-410F-8BC3-16AACDEE28FA.jpeg

EE102CCF-91BB-433C-9DBB-278496D4BFB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back