Clandestine Preamp

caiofilipini

I've been busy with a whole bunch of other stuff, so not building many pedals, but here's a super fun project: the Clandestine Preamp (Chase Tone Secret Preamp).
I was thinking about buying this one for a while, and I ended up getting one about a month or so ago. Opened it up, it looked pretty cool, with Orange Drop caps, carbon film resistors and whatnot. Very well built too.

I decided to try and trace it. I got 98% of it done, then I messaged @PedalPCB asking if he'd be interested. He helped me figure out a few details around the power supply section. After a little back and forth, he sent me the prototype boards and I just finished building it. Here it is:

PXL_20210916_021957547~2.jpg

PXL_20210916_020922430~2.jpg

I decided to go overboard and used CDE Orange Drop caps, KOA Speer carbon film resistors, Nichicon audio electrolytics and a Fairchild 2N5457. Sounds delicious! To top it all off, I put it in a Gørva C65 white enclosure and used a hip looking synth pointer knob from Smallbear. Super happy with the results!

Huge thanks to @PedalPCB for trusting me with this one and helping me figure out the power supply stuff.

I wonder if he's using the 500k pot as a voltage divider (like a standard volume pot) or as a resistor to ground (like the echoplex does).

Also with 1N5817 the charge pump should output around 26v I believe, not 22v. Curious to see the schematics :)

I ordered one of these PCBs. I am wondering if the 3 hole predrilled 125b from Tayda would line up since there are no 2 hole versions?

Hey can anyone tell me where the R5 (240k) resistor is in circuit? Wondering how much difference a 221k would make there.

1892ac0b6f422dbe310458c46c7d2a0e.jpg

I don't think the schematic for the secret preamp has been shared yet, but here's the echoplex it's based on.

The 220K resister "references the output to ground, and keeps the output from floating positive if left unconnected." I don't think the value is too critical there, but I could be entirely wrong. The Tillman preamp is similar and uses a 51K resistor in the same spot.

1892ac0b6f422dbe310458c46c7d2a0e.jpg

I don't think the schematic for the secret preamp has been shared yet, but here's the echoplex it's based on.

The 220K resister "references the output to ground, and keeps the output from floating positive if left unconnected." I don't think the value is too critical there, but I could be entirely wrong. The Tillman preamp is similar and uses a 51K resistor in the same spot.
Thanks!

Back