Come one Come all, Come see the fugliest pedal of them all! (VHS)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
So where do I even start with this?
Well let’s start with one of @fig contest I won and had 50 bucks to spend and chose to get the VHS with the fv1 chip presoldered. Once I got it in my hands I realized I was missing a few parts and ordered those. Before I even put a component on the board I wanted to design it. I wanted to go with Atari look but I had some discrepancies because of how old school it looks I didn’t want to step on any toes and asked @Bricksnbeatles if it was ok to follow through with a design that could possibly be similar to his previous build the Oops wrong 808 (suffice to say it look nothing like that). My thought process here was to etch my design and fill in the etch with paint being faithful to the Atari colors. Well that didn’t work out as planned at all. Clearly there were cracks in the toner and everything just kind of fell apart. Not wanting to waste money I continued and paints the recessed areas as best I could. I think it looks like crap. I ended up showing my brother and he said it looks pretty cool as it reminded him of a Star Wars prop in a scene or like it would be hanging off someone’s utility belt. My gf says it looks like an old 70s radio. My dad says it looks like it’s been through intergalactic war and I found it in the dumpster. If you want to let me know what it reminds you of please feel free to let me know lol. Whatever the story is, the truth is I kinda like it 😎. I went knob-less to add to the “beat up” look as well.

As for the actual build man did I mess up, right where that little cluster of caps is at I had to bend a 47 uf cap just so I can clear the back plate. The only reason being I wasn’t paying attention and put a 1uf in that place and had to do a little rework to swap it out. It ended up looking a little more messy than I wanted. Def not my best work, and has been a humbling experience with this particular build. But nonetheless I got it working and she sounds like a beauty!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I think that looks pretty sick. I saw the picture after the intro writing and was expecting a disaster. Definitely agree with the cool utility belt opinion, or maybe a console panel on a ship that’s seen some action. You definitely won’t feel the need to baby it so it’ll see some use for sure.

Nice work seeing it through!

I think that looks pretty sick. I saw the picture after the intro writing and was expecting a disaster. Definitely agree with the cool utility belt opinion, or maybe a console panel on a ship that’s seen some action. You definitely won’t feel the need to baby it so it’ll see some use for sure.

Nice work seeing it through!
I totally see the utility belt thing now that you say a panel on a ship that looks cool too! Like I said as I look at it more and more it looks better to me! Thanks for the uplifting comment 🤙

Awesome! I’ve been looking forward to seeing this completed, and it looks great! Any idea what knobs you’ll go with?
Im going knob-less i think it fits the aesthetics of the pedal. but dude feel free to let me know if i should go with a certain style im all ears!

I like that junk pile weathered look but yeah you gotta put some knobs on it man. Can't just leave it hanging like that
I had bought these just waiting for them to come in im not sure if thatll fit now just cause of the way it came out. Im still going to try them though.

That’s what I was gonna suggest. The slightly bigger OD I think is key.
Maybe these (in orange? Black? Idk)
Gonna order a black set and an orange set and see how they look.

Doooooooode. I am in full support of this aesthetic. Totally digging it. Reminds me of one the droids for sale out of the Jawa land cruiser😆. If you do drop knobs they def have to keep with the corroded worn look.
Yeah I made up my mind once the aluminum knobs show up im totally etching them to beat em up and putting them on! Will update when i do!

Beautiful! For me, it's a drive-in theatre window speaker. :love:
I see it! So far im enjoying it much more now that it looks like something different to everyone else. Almost like it allows you to tell your own personal story!

Back