Community Scrambler

Big Monk

I have an idea.

I’m a huge Cactus fan and a while ago I bought all the vintage mojo semiconductors for the Ampeg Scrambler.

Now, Aion just released thier Aperture, or Ampeg Scrambler Board, but I’m thinking I might put a design together for this circuit.

Since I need to still put a Small Bear order together, I’m thinking that I may buy 10 sets of the 2N5306, BC169B, and 1N456 diodes and do an order for 10 boards. Then I’ll put a Tayda drill template together and we can do a forum build.

I’ll do a contest here where one of you will get a board and the mojo components gratis, with shipping included. I’ll keep a board and send out the rest at cost and a reasonable shipping price.

Sound interesting?

The scrambler is a cool build and stands on its own amongst the other octave fuzzes. Kevin’s added mods are welcome additions too.

Oh ok. Yeah, those mods have been around for a long time now. I know General Guitar Gadgets has had a Scrambler board for about 5 years and those mods were there when he issued it.

I’m pumped to build it.
GGG and Tonepad had some great layouts for etching back in the day. I remember its description as "sounds like doom" from tonepad. I still visit GGG when trying to remember how to wire positive ground effects.

GGG and Tonepad had some great layouts for etching back in the day. I remember its description as "sounds like doom" from tonepad. I still visit GGG when trying to remember how to wire positive ground effects.

I’m a huge Cactus fan, so Jim McCarty's playing in that band defined the ascrambler for me.

So I checked that out and I can hear it's usability when one with the ability to moderate the octave blend utilizes it!

I bought Musikding's version of the Scrambler after hearing Evil.

It's nice but I wish it had more fuzz and it didn't reach unity so early.

Interesting blend knob and for those who need it the ability to reduce the octave.

A quirk of octave fuzzes for me is that the octave sounds better on the neck pickup for leads or melodies but I prefer the bridge pickup for playing chords and riffs a la Evil below the 10th fret.

In fact the best octave fuzz I've heard lately (but not played) is the Dusky Augustus. Very musical

Anyway a community build sounds like a great idea even though I probably won't be able to contribute anything worthwhile, being a clueless noob.

No worries, I still have my BYOC to play with.

Tis a good idea though, the community build — perhaps another circuit will come along that suits the idea.

Cheers,
FF

Back