Comparing the Hydra to the Booner

Big Monk

Anyone have any direct experience with both? Are there known mods to the Hydra?

I’m just curious as I’m jumping on the Hydra when the FV-1 comes back in stock.

It’s pretty close but not the same pedal (I don’t have the Boonar to compare to, only what I’ve heard of it online). There are some magic sounds with different combos of delay heads activated (I love 1, 2 & 4 and 1, 3 & 4 engaged).

I added a momentary oscillation mod to mine which is okay but doesn’t work as well as it does on a PT2399 based delay. It works best with positions 2 + 4 engaged and works subtly with any other combos.

I also put pin 3 of the mix knob on a switch to always keep some dry signal mixed with the effect. This if from @jubal81

I’m not sure this is one that can be modded to be anymore like the Boonar as it’s all proprietary DSP. Still it’s definitely close enough IMO. Mine will never leave my board.

Last edited:
It’s pretty close but not the same pedal (I don’t have the Boonar to compare too, only what I’ve heard of it online). There are some magic sounds with different combos of delay heads activated (I love 1, 2 & 4 and 1, 3 & 4 engaged).

I added a momentary oscillation mod to mine which is okay but doesn’t work as well as it does on a PT2399 based delay. It works best with positions 2 + 4 engaged and works subtly with any other combos.

I also put pin 3 of the mix knob on a switch to always keep some dry signal mixed with the effect. This if from @jubal81

I’m not sure this is one that can be modded to be anymore like the Boonar as it’s all proprietary DSP. Still it’s definitely close enough IMO. Mine will never leave my board.
Just what I was looking for!

There is this build and sound report on YouTube. I don’t think it shows it off as well as it possibly could.

Let me know if you want me to do a quick recording of a few sounds it can do.

There is this build and sound report on YouTube. I don’t think it shows it off as well as it possibly could.

Let me know if you want me to do a quick recording of a few sounds it can do.

That would be awesome if you could.

I think the Hydra, along with my Strymon DIG, El Capistan and my Valeton Coral Echo, will truly round out my delay section.

@JamieJ if you were to build it again would you do the momentary oscillation mod? Just got my board today and was thinking about doing a double pedal with the hydra and spatialist.... but it will be a little bit before I get to that.

@JamieJ if you were to build it again would you do the momentary oscillation mod? Just got my board today and was thinking about doing a double pedal with the hydra and spatialist.... but it will be a little bit before I get to that.

As JamieJ was saying, the best oscillating occurs with the 2 &4 setting but I find that even this setting can take some time to ramp up. I prefer the oscillation on a latching myself. I haven't found a setting that you would get instant crazy oscillating like some pedals do.

I also used a 2knobjob on the speed knob so I can kind of bat down the oscillation and keep control when it gets overwhelming by playing tennis back and forth with the speed setting.

Yep I would add the momentary mod again @Paradox916 but it is subtle. I modded my carbon copy with this momentary mod as well and that goes crazy.

That sounds like an awesome dual pedal! You could add some switching jacks between the two as well to add a pedal between if needed. I like delay > trem > reverb.

You could test out this mod before you drill the enclosure as it’s only adding two wires to a pot and momentary switch. I got rid of the trim pot on this as it wasn’t needed like on a PT2399 builds. Test it on the auditorium to see if the mod is useful for you. I would 100% do the mod where you don’t attach let three of mod pot. I also love the look of two foot switches on 125B builds.

Check this out for inspiration -

I had 5 minutes to put this together earlier so excuse the shoddy playing. It’s a strat > duocast > hydra > bass breaker 7.
That's a better way to demonstrate that pedal. (No reverb). I wasn't interested in it before but I am now. Will see how my first few projects go.

Sounded good to me... I actually like how the oscillation switch is more like a sustain than a crazy oscillation... I really like the slow build up.

It’s pretty close but not the same pedal (I don’t have the Boonar to compare to, only what I’ve heard of it online). There are some magic sounds with different combos of delay heads activated (I love 1, 2 & 4 and 1, 3 & 4 engaged).

How do you hook up the oscillation switch?

@cooder - yep mix is A10K and pin three is disengaged in all of the video. I can do another quick video to show the difference with that mod if you want as it’s on a switch.

@Big Monk - wire it the same way as a PT2399 oscillation mod with pins 2 & 3 to either side of a momentary switch. I did have a trimmer there as well but that didn’t work with this build. I think that’s best for pedals that go into crazy oscillation very quickly.

Back