Compiling on a Mac

Dali

Hello world,

I've setup my Mac and everything seems to work to create BINs from C++ except it doesn't.

I installed using this:

Then : Clone @tcpoint files using his instructions : https://github.com/tcpoint/terra#setup-instructions

I was able to compile without any error message but ultimately, the BINs (verb or delay) won't work using Electro-Smith web programmer.

It almost work. I transfer the program and first LED is on but if I disconnect and reconnect DC (no USB) the LED is never light anymore. If I use a compiled BIN from tcpoint repo, it works. Disconnect DC, reconnect and LED is lit.

The BIN file I produce from the exact same source as tcpoint is about 1k bigger but I know he built it on a Linux box... and his works.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions!

I didn't use the web programmer, but I did just successfully push each of the programs to both seeds I have using this command from terminal.
Code:
make program-dfu
Won't be able to test if they actually work until later though.

I didn't use the web programmer, but I did just successfully push each of the programs to both seeds I have using this command from terminal.
Code:
make program-dfu
Won't be able to test if they actually work until later though.

This is how I upload them as well.

I create a batch file in each of my project folders that compiles the source and then uploads it to the Seed all in one go... it saves a little time when debugging / doing repetitive tweaks to code.

Got the same result using "make program-dfu".

I must have errors somewhere that I don't see on screen.

I'm using shell from inside PhpStorm (I know, I know PHP is bad, bla bla...) I will reinstall everything again but from a bigger terminal screen just in case I missed an error.

I'd expect a different compiler to produce a different size of code. Also, it depends on the optimizations, etc. I wouldn't be too worried about binary size.

How are you guys getting the compiler? I am getting it via Homebrew.

I followed instructions from Electro-Smith so yes, Brew and I also tried with my Win10 box.

Both are able to compile and create BINs, but both fail on the Seeds. tcpoint Bins are flawless.

I've tested creating a few bins today (also if anyone actually speaks code and I'm using dummy terms, please let me know), and none of them have worked even though make ran without errors. Have tried uploading from terminal and from the web, so I can cross that off as the issue.

Seems to be something going sideways when make is spitting out the goodies (and that I know is the technical term, I looked it up)

I've tested creating a few bins today (also if anyone actually speaks code and I'm using dummy terms, please let me know), and none of them have worked even though make ran without errors. Have tried uploading from terminal and from the web, so I can cross that off as the issue.

Seems to be something going sideways when make is spitting out the goodies (and that I know is the technical term, I looked it up)
You work on a Mac?

Right now I only have Terrarium-ready code from tcpoint. I wish I could try some from another source. Not that I don't trust our pal, but it I'm now thinking building on a VirtualBox Ubuntu box as a third environment for trying to compile.

Yeah everything so far has been on a mac, although I did just try and compile from a PC, but that doesn't appear to have worked yet either.

Going to keep trying from macOS for now, but I do have a linux virtual machine I'm thinking about trying

I followed the instructions on the Daisy wiki and was able to compile the blink test program and get a working bin file on a windows 10 machine. The only extra step I had to take that was not spelled out was to add the Make folder to the environment variable.

I've had Daisy builds working on my Mac (10.14.6) for a while now, both libdaisy and DaisyDuino.

I'm waiting for parts to build terrarium.

I just download tcpoint code from github, it all builds error-free. I loaded multidelay onto my Daisy Pod. Obviously, controls don't work,Pod is different from Petal or Terrarium, but it's definitely doing a delay.

I've had Daisy builds working on my Mac (10.14.6) for a while now, both libdaisy and DaisyDuino.

I'm waiting for parts to build terrarium.

I just download tcpoint code from github, it all builds error-free. I loaded multidelay onto my Daisy Pod. Obviously, controls don't work,Pod is different from Petal or Terrarium, but it's definitely doing a delay.

The thing is that compiling always worked for me on both Win, Mac and Linux. But only on Ubuntu is was able to get a working BIN file that works on Terrarium.

Maybe the GCC compiler is not giving enough information if there's error, inclusion path problems and whatnot.

Anyway, the more people start to code for Terrarium, the better and richer effects will see the light. And that's a good feeling. :)

Last edited:
Anyone had any luck getting a working terrarium .bin on the macOS side? I'm still having to use ubuntu to get a .bin that will pass audio

Anyone had any luck getting a working terrarium .bin on the macOS side? I'm still having to use ubuntu to get a .bin that will pass audio
I didn't try recompiling anything in the last month so I can't really tell.

I presume there's some weird stuff in one of the library or ARM toolchain or whatnot... :(

Back