Could someone review my attempt at a uv print file?

prsman

Hi, first time using illustrator and attempting to make a file to UV print at Tayda. Would a seasoned UV printer (1 successful print is seasoned in my mind lol) care to take a peek before I upload it? I followed a few youtube tutorials, but would still love a second pair of eyes on it.

I’m just on my phone, so I’m not able to check that the layers and spot colors are correct, but what I can say is that’s a really nice design!

One of our resident UV experts will be with you shortly…

Is this all supposed to be metallic silver one layer? That's how it shows for me, and I do not think tayda will like that as they don't print metallics at all, so I think if you sent this in you'd get that grey tone printed.

Is this all supposed to be metallic silver one layer? That's how it shows for me, and I do not think tayda will like that as they don't print metallics at all, so I think if you sent this in you'd get that grey tone printed.
No. That's what happened when I selected gloss for the gloss layer. I wasn't sure how to select gloss for just the gloss layer. It seems to change all the layers

The file here appears to just be one layer, is what you wanted just one gloss layer or is there supposed to be a color layer as well?

This is not going to work. If you want a gloss layer, then you have to copy everything into the gloss layer and register it over the color layer.

You've also added an extra layer, Tayda is very precise about their templates, and if you have anything other than Gloss, Color, White, it's not going to go.

I can probably fix it up for you (it's an awesome design), but I'd need some info first:

So what color(s) were you going for on the actual design?

What color enclosure are you going to use? If you're using anything other than a white enclosure, or just all black on any color, then you're going to need a white layer underneath in addition to the color layer - so that's another cut, paste, and register.

Did you want the whole design gloss varnished or just parts of it?

The file here appears to just be one layer, is what you wanted just one gloss layer or is there supposed to be a color layer as well?
Supposed to have a color layer as well. I had three layers in the file white, color and gloss. White and gloss were empty and color had all the graphics. I used illustrator to do all the work.

This is not going to work. If you want a gloss layer, then you have to copy everything into the gloss layer and register it over the color layer.

You've also added an extra layer, Tayda is very precise about their templates, and if you have anything other than Gloss, Color, White, it's not going to go.

I can probably fix it up for you (it's an awesome design), but I'd need some info first:

So what color(s) were you going for on the actual design?

What color enclosure are you going to use? If you're using anything other than a white enclosure, or just all black on any color, then you're going to need a white layer underneath in addition to the color layer - so that's another cut, paste, and register.

I want just all black colors. I was hoping to use their chromium enclosure, but white would be totally fine to. Varnish for the gloss layer. I think the whole thing gloss.

I want just all black colors. I was hoping to use their chromium enclosure, but white would be totally fine to. Varnish for the gloss layer. I think the whole thing gloss.
Black on Chrome with a Gloss layer, got it! That should look great. Black works on top of anything... well, apart from black...

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can bounce the .ai and .pdf files back to you...

I just grabbed a fresh template from Tayda - the top layer has the gloss pattern in RDG_Gloss:

UV - PRS Man - 1.jpg

If you hide that layer, you can see the black layer that's underneath - I just copied the artwork, turned it black, and then made sure it lined up perfectly with the layer above:

UV - PRS Man - 2.jpg

Aside to the group, do you think it would be worth doing a basic UV Enclosure Illustrator Tutorial????

Attachments

• UV - PRS Man - 1.jpg
    UV - PRS Man - 1.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 5
then you're going to need a white layer underneath in addition to the color layer - so that's another cut, paste, and register.

Quick question!
First thanks so much for all of your help.

I noticed there was nothing in the white layer you sent to me. So what does cut, paste and register mean?

Quick question!
First thanks so much for all of your help.

I noticed there was nothing in the white layer you sent to me. So what does cut, paste and register mean?
If you're printing black on silver, you don't need a white layer. If you were, say, printing Orange on Silver, you'd need a copy of the orange layer in the white layer perfectly aligned to the orange or you'd get a washed out print.

Remember when you get the UV printing done, there's an upcharge to do a gloss layer, so you have to add that product separately before you check out...

Remember when you get the UV printing done, there's an upcharge to do a gloss layer, so you have to add that product separately before you check out...
Yeah an extra $2 I think? Is it mostly for durability or looks. I don't know how durable UV printing is.

Would you recommend a clear coat? Or have you used any without with good results? (Last question I promise!)

Would you recommend a clear coat? Or have you used any without with good results? (Last question I promise!)
I've done without. its fine without, but the gloss layer does make it a bit more durable. I probably wouldn't do another print without it at this point unless I specifically want it to look the way it does without anything

I've done most without, some with. The UV finish seems to be more durable on some colors than others and will scratch, but I figure the gloss would as well. I haven't done self-applied clear coats on top of anything other than pedals I've finished myself. Nothing on top of a Tayda UV.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can bounce the .ai and .pdf files back to you...

I just grabbed a fresh template from Tayda - the top layer has the gloss pattern in RDG_Gloss:

View attachment 32539

If you hide that layer, you can see the black layer that's underneath - I just copied the artwork, turned it black, and then made sure it lined up perfectly with the layer above:

View attachment 32538

Aside to the group, do you think it would be worth doing a basic UV Enclosure Illustrator Tutorial????
A UV enclosure tutorial would be awesome. I have been hesitant to do a UV enclosure due to lack of confidence or knowledge of the process.

Back