Cowpoker (Chuck D. Bones Designed board)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
First off thank you for the people all involved with this board! Thank you @fig for being kind enough to send a newbie like me a board! And thanks to @Chuck D. Bones for designing it!

First thing is first this thing had ALOT of gain! Enough to make me think it wasnt working right! It does a bit of squealing when everything is cranked but i was assured by @MichaelW that nothing was wrong and because i have dont have a Jfet buffer its gonna do that. That removed a massive headache that had been brewing dealing with those symptoms for a few hours! Thanks for the guidance @MichaelW he answered a few questions i had pertaining to the build, that was a huge help!

On to the build itself. I had ALOT of fun building this circuit. Paying attention to how the board is laid out as your building will put a smile on your face! By the way if your using the bigger fatter green caps understand you will have to do some leg building. But that was my personal choice to use those caps there. Super easy build as well the spacing between components makes it a breeze. Also for anyone whos building this, the spot where it says "3u3" for a cap iused a 2.2uf tant instead as thats an unusual value. Its the same value @MichaelW used in his build.

So the sound of this thing. I have to agree with Michael it doesn't sound like the Buffalo TDX but thats not a bad thing. This thing like i said before has enough gain to rip your head off! Im doing more testing with it and i need to play it more with different setups to see how it really behaves but overall im VERY impressed! This is my first Big Nose Amplifications build and man i love it. The voicings are very high gain voicing as soon as you flip the switch the either side your greeted with 2 different flavors of "rip your head off". As for the middle position thats where i like it the best it has the least amount again and because i believe its not clipping anything you can sort of use that position as a boost. As of now these are just initial impressions!

As for the design of the pedal i just used my go to method of no film water decals. Had a small funny joking moment with @Bricksnbeatles about cow poking and it stuck. Heres the result of that convo in design...:ROFLMAO:

5 Out 5 For me will be looking forward to the blue oyster boost! :cool:

Cowpoker Finished guts.jpg

Cowpoker Finished.jpg

Cowpoker Finished Back.jpg

Attachments

• Cowpoker Finished.jpg
    Cowpoker Finished.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Cowpoker Finished Back.jpg
    Cowpoker Finished Back.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Very cool! I just placed a huge Stompbox order today which contains my missing parts for this one. Can’t wait.

Great build! As someone who just received that board this afternoon, eager to build it later this Fall.
Very cool! I just placed a huge Stompbox order today which contains my missing parts for this one. Can’t wait.
sorry for the late response but ive been playing with this and man i have to say you guys are going to love it!!!! So that whole thing about the squealing wasnt from the pedal guys. Its from when i raised my PRS pickups a few days ago cause i thought they sounded like crap! I hooked up my strat with the blues jr and OMG! This is a killer pedal!!!! It has to jump up on your guys build list asap!

sorry for the late response but ive been playing with this and man i have to say you guys are going to love it!!!! So that whole thing about the squealing wasnt from the pedal guys. Its from when i raised my PRS pickups a few days ago cause i thought they sounded like crap! I hooked up my strat with the blues jr and OMG! This is a killer pedal!!!! It has to jump up on your guys build list asap!
I know it’s going to be amazing because everything Chuck touches is amazeballs. I wish someone would post a dang demo already but I also want to be surprised too. Lol.

I've got such a backlog of projects I hate to ask for anything, but your thread and MichaelW's thread on this thing...

Well, that poor cow might get another (gentle) prod.

Back