Crankshaft: 1N60P Germanium diodes

DAJE

I'm pretty sure the 1N60P used to be a Germanium diode, but at some point was redefined as a Silicon Schottky diode. Or something like that. Anyway, the only 1N60Ps I'm seeing are unlikely to be Ge diodes.

I have some leftover ex-USSR D9E Ge diodes, or I could buy some 1N60Ps, or some other thing that would work better. I am likely to socket the diodes anyway, so I guess I could try various things in there.

Realistically it'll be another month before I get the PCBs I ordered, so there's no hurry.

EDIT: So the actual question is: what should I buy / use?

I'm genuinely curious about this as well. I built a Speaker Cranker with what I believe are the Schottky ones and it sounds pretty good but I'm wondering if it would sound better with 1N60P or any other Ge diode

Sockets would be the way to go here. You can also try breadboarding this one too since it’s relatively simple

Sockets would be the way to go here. You can also try breadboarding this one too since it’s relatively simple
I don't have a breadboard. I'll probably get one at some point, but at this stage I'm still just filling PCBs. I'm a slow learner, I do best when I do things at my own pace. But I will socket, and really I'm just asking for advice about what to try.

you don't know what you're talking about. 1n60p is not germanium nor are the diodes used in the speaker cranker ... you should maybe do a bit more research like reading the tracing thread over at freestompboxes

you don't know what you're talking about. 1n60p is not germanium nor are the diodes used in the speaker cranker ... you should maybe do a bit more research like reading the tracing thread over at freestompboxes
Or maybe you should do some research on politeness costing nothing. I was literally asking for information, so yes, I would like some reliable factual information. I also noted that the build document for the Crankshaft PCB literally says

1N60P Germanium diode​

three times.

Attachments

• cccccccc.png
    cccccccc.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 24
keep not learning anything, I'm sure it will make a great troubleshooting thread
I've posted one troubleshooting thread here ever, and while that was my own mistake, I figured it out myself pretty quickly anyway. And a worthwhile lesson learned. Considering I've built 11 PCBs from this site, I reckon that's a pretty good average. I'm still pretty new to this, but you're the first jackass who's tried to act all superior and condescending towards a simple request for information, so I reckon that's a pretty good average too.

Fight nicely, children...

@DAJE if you've got some D9E lying around I would use those or some shottky diodes if you have them. Check the voltage drop on them. From memory they should be pretty close to 1n60 OR 1n60p. Here's a datasheet i found that may be helpful to you.

Edit: At the end of the day, since these are just hard clippers just find ones that are close to the indicated voltage drop and you should be fine.

Last edited:
speaking of children ...
there are specific performance differences between germanium diodes and schottky diodes, especially in a simple circuit like the electra distortion where parts count is low so small changes get noticed more quickly ... simply matching up Vf isn't the only consideration to be made.

speaking of children ...
there are specific performance differences between germanium diodes and schottky diodes, especially in a simple circuit like the electra distortion where parts count is low so small changes get noticed more quickly ... simply matching up Vf isn't the only consideration to be made.
I don’t disagree. I’ll go back to my first post where you should socket the component and play around with it

Fight nicely, children...

@DAJE if you've got some D9E lying around I would use those or some shottky diodes if you have them. Check the voltage drop on them. From memory they should be pretty close to 1n60 OR 1n60p. Here's a datasheet i found that may be helpful to you.

Edit: At the end of the day, since these are just hard clippers just find ones that are close to the indicated voltage drop and you should be fine.
Thanks for that. I'll be making another Tayda order, I'm just working on what I need to add. 1N60Ps are on the list. And I'll read up about forward voltages.

Back