Cross Contaminator

finebyfine

Originally finished this a month ago but after trying to figure out why the bias pot effectively did nothing, realized I had installed all of the potentiometers in the wrong places 🤦‍♂️. I hate desoldering pots, so here we are a month later.

Of the EQD fuzzes I've built this one is the least impressive to me. The bias knob is interesting but not really up my alley. Everything this does well I think the terminal and black ash do better, with better voicing. Nevertheless, fun build!

IMG_6323.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

Yep, it's the worst. The 2 worst things (i.e. ripping pads off) I did were related to that dreaded process...

I use lead free solder which I hear is even worse sooo for an $8 board with common components I didn't even try on this one lol I just reordered it

Sometimes, but less often since I took care of my lack of ventilation. I'll grab a dead board and some L-F later and see how much difference it makes.

You can lower the melting point of lead-free solder by introducing some lead-based solder. It's not ROHS compliant anymore, but parts come off much easier.

Ooh this is really good to know. I only use lead free because the fumes smell from leaded (even w/ good ventilation) bother me but definitely can tolerate it enough for desoldering

Reactions: fig
We may all need one of these if the components keep drying up.
Luckily with sockets in our Builds, we can rob one pedal to make a new one work!

I have a build that I call the "Muff Bread" that has sockets for literally every component and steal stuff from whatever variant I'm playing around with on it all the time

Back